What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CITES Appendix I species are covered by the Endangered Species Act of 1973 (ESA). This regulates the interstate movement of species listed under the ESA. Sarracenia rubra ssp alabamensis (Sarracenia alabamensis) was added to the ESA list 10 March 1989.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service regulates and enforces CITES and the ESA in the United States.

http://ecos.fws.gov/docs/federal_register/fr1529.pdf
http://ecos.fws.gov/speciesProfile/profile/speciesProfile.action?spcode=Q2HZ
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/laws-policies/index.html
http://www.epa.gov/lawsregs/laws/esa.html

There has been pages and pages of discussion on this subject. I suggest you read the "Very Illegal!" thread started by Bugweed in the Conservation or NASC section of the forum.

Last edited:
Thanks andrew for watching out for me, I do like to give stuff away, I think most members here know that, but I don't want end up paying a hefty fine for being generous, or ignorant. I didn't realize alabamensis was on this list, and if anyone here is saying this trade is illegal, then the trade can be made for another plant. I'm just trying to save the greenhouse from collapse, under a heavy snow, as I'm not able to keep it clean from my new location, when heavy snow falls.
I know everyone cant afford a greenhouse , even a kit setup like this, but I did get a great deal on it when it was new in the box, I probably wont be able to replace even if I end up in a location down the road where I could use it. I hate to let it go, but have to, or it will become trash in heavy snow, it was very close last year, but my brother-n- law saved it for me during a snow storm, he stayed up all night, and cleaned it off every hour or two, I doubt that will happen again this year.
However, I would still like the alabamensis, if someone crosses the state line and picks up the plant at meadow view, and the plant stays in virginia, isn't that ok.:blush: Im in the martinsville virginia area, and the plant will be staying here with me, It looks like mksmith will get the greenhouse, but if the trade falls through with mike I will still trade to anyone who has already made an offer here, mksmith will get the first option though (mike I will trade with you on something else if necessary) we'll just trade for something not on the CITIES list.
lets save this greenhouse:-D
Can some one here just say this can or cannot be done, reading all the rules still confuses me a bit, the plant is staying in the same state, and it looks like the greenhouse will stay in the same state as well.
ok or not ok.:blush:

@Griffin, so what you are saying is that every trade that occurs on this forum is technically illegal? Because "trading" plants is not something that I think anyone cares about with endangered or threatened species being the exception. This is one of those laws that is written but not enforced, such as the law on bundling.
I believe you are confusing the levels - there are only a handful of plants that qualify under Griifins quote (S. alabamensis, S. jonesii, S. oreophila, & possibly N. clipeata?)(If I'm forgetting some - holler). So your first statement is inaccurate - Joe's quote is not 'saying' that every trade that occurs on this forum is illegal. In fact, the population on TF does a decent job of warning people who are about to break the law in some way. This does not fall into the category of "not something that I think anyone cares about". From what I have seen - people do care about breaking the law (on TF) and imo, you should refrain from creating (& posting) some form of rationalization which attempts to justify violations.
I wasn't trying to attack you or anything,...
It definitely came across like that to me...

Ah - I see NaN already supplied some additional info (while I was writing .... slowly) & provided some valuable suggested reading - especially for folks suggesting that breaking the law is ok ... :nono:

Jimmy - my apologies for the thread hijack.

If for any reason Michael can't follow through, just let me know Jimmy.
Mass will make everything okay..

On a side note, were you the one wanting binata stuff?
I've got some binata stuff in the outdoor GH I forgot all about. Just say the word and I'll add them to your package.

IMG_2824.jpg

If
On a side note, were you the one wanting binata stuff?
I've got some binata stuff in the outdoor GH I forgot all about. Just say the word and I'll add them to your package.

no not me however i am now thanks for the offer , if you have some for me to, but it wasnt me so check to see if you have any left after whom ever gets theirs.Im leaving at 3 30am in the morning for alaska ill check back on this threadon the 17th or 18th .

anyone read my update here .
ok or nor ok ?
Can some one here just say this can or cannot be done, reading all the rules still confuses me a bit, the plant is staying in the same state, and it looks like the greenhouse will stay in the same state as well.
ok or not ok.

you're okay.
green for go.
:bigthumpup:

mike is out of trade , so mass if your interested its yours .
if not the trade is still up for grabs, winter is coming here it will be waste by spring.

no kidding? Thought this was a done deal, so my father and I picked up the stuff we needed to build our own.
Gonna have to pass Jimmy, thanks for the offer though.

Last piece of the puzzle.. glass for the roof. Construction starts spring 2013
(my father):

photo-1.jpg

I wish i could grab it but i might not have my truck till late next year if at all and all i have is a puny sports car but i wish i could grab it

I wish i could grab it but i might not have my truck till late next year if at all and all i have is a puny sports car but i wish i could grab it

friend, cousin, brother, classmate, uncle, and a few beers?

i wish, i would take my farms truck but that would be way too much in gass as the farm is about 40 minuets away from me but humm i could always ask around and see whats up bribe with beers lol

similar situation here.....I would be all over it but I have an AMG coupe. I have 3 close friends with trucks but it's not worth it....first is a silverado one needs a rope ladder to get into and the other has a 69 or 70 chevy pickup that probably gets 4mpg and worst of all a suped up ford diesel pickup(bad mileage and expensive fuel). Would it fit in a minivan? if the 2 rows of seats were removed?

the green house can be broken down probably to fit into an minivan or even small suv it came in a 4' x 3' box maybe 14" thick.
i put it in my 98 honda civic sedan when i got it. the seats laid down and it went right in

too bad VA doesnt mean Vancouver, Washington. i'd trade all my rubras (some truly lovely plants) and a few bonuses to get at that beaut.

Back