What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting ready to clean up the patio a bit, trimming back Bay laurel

Hi,

Getting ready to trim back my Bay Laurel (sweet bay substitute) which is growing under the eaves, thought some of you'all might want some leaves or a cutting if you wish to try to get one started. A bit tricky to root, but not impossible. Use it in spaghetti sauce or seafood boil mixes or whatever. Only use it for flavoring, it can do weird things to your innards if you eat it, so I hear. It's evergreen and attractive, mine has never flowered, probably because it is growing in a relatively low light situation and I keep it smallish. I got mine from an ex-girlfriend as a tiny piece with just a smidgen of root attached. A slow but pretty reliable grower. Quite hardy in my area, one article says to zone 8, though they also say some plants survived down to 12F with some damage. So probably more northern as well, certainly in a pot taken in when it gets too cold.

IMGP9552.jpg

IMGP9555.jpg

Email me at gnixon@satx.rr.com if interested. I would like to have some takers in place before I start cutting, preferably. Otherwise it will go to locals and/or the garden plot. Trades or more likely just for postage I would think. Also, I will be trimming Mexican honeysuckle, so cuttings of that and possibly rooted pieces may be available as well. Easy to root, seeds prolifically, and attracts hummingbirds. Mine is way out of hand, so if you want some, sing out! It's not blooming now, so this is the best I can do. http://www.google.com/search?q=mexi...&ei=mRT-UJaQGeOf2QWVxoGACQ&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QsAQ As usual, the Google images thing has some that are not it... it is the Justicia spicigera, not the one labeled Lonicera. Hardy to 24F supposedly.

Ciao!

I would be interested in some cutting of the Mexican honeysuckle..Thanks, Captdonaldduc

Ya just can't make pasta sauce without it!

Back