Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Flowering Nepenthes

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing the info, I'm sure it will come in handy. The horrid smell that eminates from Nepenthes flowers may have something to do with the night cycle. Moth pollinators perhaps?

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjam1986 View Post
    I looked up some info on pollen collection and storage, and pollen viability.

The most concrete information I found was from a CPN article in March 2006, publishing results of experiments on pollen viability in different conditions. The results found that:

3)Viability dropped off very quickly at room temperature/humidity, and was virtually nil by the 8th day.
    If that were 100% true in every instance, every time, then it would be literally impossible to collect, dry, and mail pollen between community members, and yet we know this is possible. I myself have seedlings grown from pollen donated by someone in South Africa, pollen that took over two weeks to arrive in the mail. So, I would take item #3 with a grain of salt....or rice, if that is your preference ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    If that were 100% true in every instance, every time, then it would be literally impossible to collect, dry, and mail pollen between community members, and yet we know this is possible. I myself have seedlings grown from pollen donated by someone in South Africa, pollen that took over two weeks to arrive in the mail. So, I would take item #3 with a grain of salt....or rice, if that is your preference ;-)
    Good to know, thanks Still I hope anyone sending pollen will keep some of these general guidelines in mind, to maximize viability of pollen sent (=more seeds for everyone!). But I understand there's a lot of variability in these things, and a lot of factors involved.

BTW, I'll promise to send seed to everyone who sends me pollen, regardless of whether your pollen yields seed or not, just for playing the 'game' (assuming I get seed).

Not sure how to go about this exactly, but I'll probably be sending out PM's to arrange pollen transfers and timing, etc., in the next couple days. If anyone has any suggestions on the process, I'm open to hearing them. The thing I'm worried about most is arranging the timing right... We'll see.

Again thanks for everyone's patience...

Who has/ will have pollen available to collect in the next few days?
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My red vent should be opening flowers in a couple days here, no more than a week at most.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice info, thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update on the progress of the flower. Looks like it still has some elongation to do before flowers start opening, I presume...

184_2584

Out of focus, but I like the angle.
    184_2586

184_2587

184_2583

184_2581

184_2580

In case you noticed; Yes, the setup is pretty ghetto, but it works. The plants are under two T-12 fixtures, under one of those plastic foldable tables (about 2x5 ft), on top of which is a wire shelf with the rest of my highland plants. It's also temporary, I'll be making a new setup for my taller vining highland neps in the next couple months, which should be a little more asthetically pleasing
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just sent out a group PM to those who offered me pollen. I think my flowers should start opening soon You'll find details in the PM. Thanks!
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234