What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Opuntia humifusa

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
Hi! I have a small Opuntia humifusa given to me as a rooted pad few years back. The quality of the fruit is terrible, so I've spent the last few years attempting to kill it with neglect. 3 straight years of no watering, no winter protection, and no repotting hasn't been effective. Perhaps someone else can be more successful in this endeavor! It has about 8 or 9 pads, and is just waking up from it's dormancy. It's free for the taking, just pay the shipping. It will probably fit in a medium Priority box, but I might have to break a pad or two off to make it fit, which just means you'll have extra plants. Thanks for looking!

If you want to kill it just throw it in the trash can(assuming it's in a pot)... or throw a dark shade cloth over the plant:) It will cause the plant to grow stretchy and become weak. Me = cactus killer:grin:

Just because I want something dead doesn't mean I want to kill it! Well, ok usually it does, but not always!

If you want to kill it just throw it in the trash can(assuming it's in a pot)... or throw a dark shade cloth over the plant:) It will cause the plant to grow stretchy and become weak. Me = cactus killer:grin:

Too much work- blow torch, or you could always just throw it in your sarr water tray, that will do it!

Poor catus. :( I may be intersted in taking it... let me research that species first. Let you know later.

Hm, well, I am interested cause I like the prickly pears. Can't believe the fruit is bad... Was it always bad or just after you started to neglect it? They do need feeding a few times a year at least. I am hopeful to get fruit off my own pricklies one of these days.

You can eat the pads as well. It's a bit of work, bit the best way to eat it is to dethorn the pads with a potato peeler, cut into Nopalito strips and cook with some beans. Also pretty good fried up with okra as well.

I took pretty good care of it when I first got it, but the after the first time it set fruit I realized it wasn't what I was looking for! I really like prickly pears, but these were just tasteless. If I can eat the whole thing I might just keep it!

Yes, the pads themselves are edible and cook a lot like okra.

Back