Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Free Opuntia humifusa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free Opuntia humifusa

Hi! I have a small Opuntia humifusa given to me as a rooted pad few years back. The quality of the fruit is terrible, so I've spent the last few years attempting to kill it with neglect. 3 straight years of no watering, no winter protection, and no repotting hasn't been effective. Perhaps someone else can be more successful in this endeavor! It has about 8 or 9 pads, and is just waking up from it's dormancy. It's free for the taking, just pay the shipping. It will probably fit in a medium Priority box, but I might have to break a pad or two off to make it fit, which just means you'll have extra plants. Thanks for looking!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to kill it just throw it in the trash can(assuming it's in a pot)... or throw a dark shade cloth over the plant It will cause the plant to grow stretchy and become weak. Me = cactus killer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because I want something dead doesn't mean I want to kill it! Well, ok usually it does, but not always!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMN16150 View Post
    If you want to kill it just throw it in the trash can(assuming it's in a pot)... or throw a dark shade cloth over the plant It will cause the plant to grow stretchy and become weak. Me = cactus killer
    Too much work- blow torch, or you could always just throw it in your sarr water tray, that will do it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor catus. I may be intersted in taking it... let me research that species first. Let you know later.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, well, I am interested cause I like the prickly pears. Can't believe the fruit is bad... Was it always bad or just after you started to neglect it? They do need feeding a few times a year at least. I am hopeful to get fruit off my own pricklies one of these days.

You can eat the pads as well. It's a bit of work, bit the best way to eat it is to dethorn the pads with a potato peeler, cut into Nopalito strips and cook with some beans. Also pretty good fried up with okra as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took pretty good care of it when I first got it, but the after the first time it set fruit I realized it wasn't what I was looking for! I really like prickly pears, but these were just tasteless. If I can eat the whole thing I might just keep it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the pads themselves are edible and cook a lot like okra.