Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia for trade, looking for other Sarracenia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmcnair View Post
    Contact DroseraBug about Saxapahaw he's the one that registered the cultivar.
    He already contacted me. Thanks.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: Plant Patents

Brie I explained this to you before in the chatbox. If you didn't listen then you aren't going to listen now. Besides this has been discussed in length on
    Terraforums and many other plant forums.

As Presto mentioned and is clearly spelled out on the US Patent Office website plant patents basically give the patent holder the exclusive right to propagate sell and import/export the registered plant. The patent holder may grant a license for others to propagate, sell, import or export the plant. This normally involves fees and royalties. Asexual propagation including divisions is covered in the patent (see the link Presto posted)

A licensed nursery has to undergo periodic inspections for plant patent compliance. If a nursery is propagating patented plants they are doing so legally under license or illegally. If they haven't been caught by the inspectors the inspectors aren't doing their job or the nursery is concealing the fact they are propagating and selling a patented plant. Patent plants should be accompanied with a tag notifying the consumer of the patent and include the Plant Patent number. Patents are easily looked up on the US Patent Office website or other databases. You can probably even find the original application for the patent. Patents are good for 20 years.

Patents are similar to copyrights. If I buy a copy of a book, photograph, movie or song(s) that doesn't give me the right to make copies and give them to my friends. Same thing with patents.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what you are talking about Warden, or why you felt the need to post that. I did not require an explanation from you on this matter. I understand what a patent is and how it works. All I said, was that it is stupid. Saying something is stupid and disagreeing with how it works does not mean I do not understand what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I for one would like to thank you because I consider myself now informed about plant patents, and appreciate the info

and sorry - I do not have the plants you are looking for

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny how just a single comment can escalate a conversation and add drama and flair to an otherwise dull thread. (Not saying that this thread is dull.)

And I notice that you already have yourself a Sarracenia leucophylla 'Tarnok'. I did just receive a Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa, but it is not exactly a prizewinning specimen and you can surf over to the Ugly Plants thread to see a picture of it. I doubt you'll want it. Anyhow, best of luck to you finding these plants!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That might be the most ******** patent I have ever read. The description could be true for many different Sarracenia. Listing both parents and unidentified. Its amazing what people can patent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregoncp View Post
    That might be the most ******** patent I have ever read. The description could be true for many different Sarracenia. Listing both parents and unidentified. Its amazing what people can patent.
    Agreed. I dont think they even mentioned the flowers. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yea...they mentioned the flowers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast