Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for trades to expand a teaching CP collection

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for trades to expand a teaching CP collection

Hi everyone! I would love to begin doing some plant trades in order to benefit my workplace and obtain a more complete and interesting collection of CPs. Because my teaching greenhouses aren't specifically specialized in CPs, there are significant holes in our collection and many genera are unrepresented. Our budget is strictly for research and does not allow for plant acquisition, so I am going out on a limb and trying a creative approach.

Resultingly, I only have a limited amount of actual CPs for trades and those are in my growlist. Most of them are fairly common. However, our collection has a vast amount of other plants such as orchids, ferns, bromeliads, begonias, cycads, caudiforms, succulents (stapeliads, Aizoaceae, aloe family, agave family, euphorbs), cacti, gesneriads, aroids, aristolochias, and palms. I also have neat odds and ends like Mymecodia, Air potatos, and sensitive plants. If there is a specific plant you are interested in, I can't promise anything but I have hundreds of taxa that I have permission to use for trading. We have several Neps that are over 15 years old (ventricosa, maxima or x dyeriana, and a NOID). If the trade is especially enticing, I could probably swing a Welwitschia mirabilis seedling your way.

I have access to a propagation room and will be able to fully root plants for you if needed. I will also be able to accept cuttings (ex. Neps) or pullings (Pings, VFTs). Seeds, especially for VFTs and sundews, would also be great. I am also entirely willing to over-trade and send 2-for-1s in order to secure a good trade. I hope that some of the more established people here can take a bit of pity on me not having an incredible collection of CPs and realize that what I am trying to do is not out of self interest. Rather, it's to further the education about CPs and to introduce people of all ages (especially school kids) to them. Who knows--perhaps they'll take up the hobby! I can guarantee that any plants I receive will be given long lives, professional care 365 days of the year, and be used for a noble and important cause.

Also, I do not have Paypal and would prefer to trade to acquire plants instead of paying the shipping for them. I also want to be 100% sure of the legality of the plants you are trading, and I only want to entertain serious offers. I will have to be selective about how many trades I can do and I will prioritize those for multiple plants on the following list.

Ideally, here is what I am interested in:

Drosera
    admirabilis
    adelae
    prolifera
    dielsiana
    madagascariensis
    regia
    venusta
    natalensis
    pygmies
    binata multifida extrema
    rotundifolia
    intermedia
    capillaris
    anglica
    S. American drosera
    easy tuberous drosera like peltata

VFTs
    Typical
    Red leaved clones
    Large trap clones (B52, Big Mouth, etc.)
    Dentate or Sawtooth Clones
    Vigorous Clones
    Cupped trap clones

Darlingtonia

Heliamphora

Genlisea

Pinguicula

Utricularia with either large flowers or large bladders (i.e. easy to display to the public)

Nepenthes
    virtually ANY, including hybrids, but especially
    ampullaria
    aristolochioides
    albomarginata
    truncata
    rafflesiana
    ramispina
    lowii
    jamban

Please take a look at my growlist and let me know if you can help. Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.plantbio.uga.edu/about/greenhouses/

These photos are 5+ years old but should give a sense of what I have available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would strongly suggest reaching out to other universities like UNC Charlotte, NC State University, and even places like the Atlanta Botanic Garden. UNC Charlotte has a great variety of CPs but they specialize in Sarracenia. NCSU has a few Nepenthes but I just gave them a ton of D. Venusta and Adelae plus they have a ton of Pinguicula primuliflora all propagated from one plant I gave them 3 years ago and a lot of D. Binata T form. And Atlanta Botanic Garden has pretty much everything. Do you work at the University or are you a student? Hope that all helps!
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this Michael, Greg, or Kevin we're talking to? :-)

I have a seed grown N. jamban I would consider trading for a piece of N. eymae, but I would like to know if what you have is the real eymae, or just the BE maxima that was distributed as eymae for years. The latter I am not interested in.

Paul

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is Kevin, and apparently I did not realize how much taxonomic controversy surrounded the plant I have. The N. eymae is apparently the maxima you are speaking of, meaning I have 2 separate maxima clones. The plant is male and pitchers are exactly like this photo http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Sulawesi1.jpg. I received it from my friend, a grad student, whose original plant in CA is vining up a 10 foot trellis. He's on his honeymoon so I can't ask more about it, but I believe he got it either from D'Amato, Wistuba, or UC Davis.

Thanks for all the interest guys! Please be patient with me as I try to sort out who needs what, how many cuttings I can take from the same plant, etc.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ICPS seedbank has a program for supply seeds for educational purposes. Contact information is on the ICPS website.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    This is Kevin, and apparently I did not realize how much taxonomic controversy surrounded the plant I have. The N. eymae is apparently the maxima you are speaking of, meaning I have 2 separate maxima clones. The plant is male and pitchers are exactly like this photo http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Sulawesi1.jpg. I received it from my friend, a grad student, whose original plant in CA is vining up a 10 foot trellis. He's on his honeymoon so I can't ask more about it, but I believe he got it either from D'Amato, Wistuba, or UC Davis.

Thanks for all the interest guys! Please be patient with me as I try to sort out who needs what, how many cuttings I can take from the same plant, etc.
    Thanks Kevin.
    If it turns out that both of your plants are N. maxima and NOT N. eymae, then I'm not interested in them, sorry. You didn't say whether or not you wanted the N. jamban I had to offer, or not.....

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a D.madagascariensis plant and some D.intermedia 'Cuba' seeds I could give you for an oreophila division.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast