What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aldrovanda giveaway

Hi everyone! As a member who has joined recently, I've been amazed by the generosity of the people on this forum, and I felt I should give back what I can. I'm giving away four portions of Aldrovanda (1-2 strands each). My C02 system recently broke and while I've been trying to get it fixed, the traps have gotten somewhat smaller.
DSC_0065_1.jpg

If anyone has a planted aquarium, then it's probably fine to just put the Aldrovanda into that. I believe the presence of C02 is the most important factor in growing them well, and it can substitute for prey. Under ideal conditions, they should develop offshoots every few days so within a few months you may have many more than you started with.
If you are interested, please put your name in a list like that shown below. I'll choose 4 winners using a random number generator Friday morning, and orders will be shipped Monday next week. Shipping will be $7, and I'll PM my Paypal address to the winners. Please PM me your address or include it in the Paypal payment by Saturday night. Thanks!

1. Salgadoxx8
2. Lil Stinkpot

Welcome to TF. :hug:

1. Salgadoxx8
2. Lil Stinkpot
3. planturd 1000 thank you's

Welcome to TF.

Nice! I have a planted tank but no co2 injection... I had some strands in my annual killifish tanks- which laid around for a long time, and even grew some but nothing compared to what you are talking about. I ended up losing them, not sure if they just got lost in the java moss and didn't get enough light or what. But I haven't seen them in about 2 months.
Would love to see your setup though... I'm going to go look in the freshwater section to see if you've posted yet. ;)

Andrew

If you're interested in trying out Nothobranchius palmqvisti (my first attempt here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...t-(Nothobranchius-palmqvisti)?highlight=killi ) I have a bag of eggs I'd be happy to send you.

I'll post some pictures soon. It's nothing high-tech, just a bottle of yeast in water attached to a power head which sprayed CO2 into the tank. I actually have two tanks: a 20-gallon with a lot of plants and some fish and a 10-gallon just for plants (mostly Utricularia).

1. Salgadoxx8
2. Lil Stinkpot
4. Incognito - Thanks!

1. Salgadoxx8
2. Lil Stinkpot
4. Incognito - Thanks!
5.adnedarn

Well if that counts I can set that back up. :) I have harden thing and piggyback in another container.

1. Salgadoxx8
2. Lil Stinkpot
4. Incognito - Thanks!
5. jimscott

Summer was great. Winter killed them.

1. Salgadoxx8
2. Lil Stinkpot
4. Incognito - Thanks!
5.adnedarn
6.jimscott

Not entering just corrected the list. Thanks for your generosity tanukimo!

This is so nice of you! I love this plant. I've grown it successfully for over a year now. This will be my second winter.

1. Salgadoxx8
2. Lil Stinkpot
4. Incognito - Thanks!
5.adnedarn
6.jimscott
7. Pebes thanks!

I am going into my first winter with this species and am a bit nervous about it surviving. I think I am mostly concerned about this, however, because my culture has absolutely thrived thus far! I received a small sprig from pearldiver here on the forum about mid summer and have since kept it in a carefully prepared tub of kitty litter, boiled peat, and silica sand covered by about five gallons of distilled water. I also added some detritus from a local pond and live cat tails from the local ditch. No CO2 injection or anything. As far as light is concerned, partial shade to mostly sun seems to work for me. Right now, my plants are all forming/have formed turions for the winter.

I can testify to the growth rate described by the OP. This stuff is a weed if you get the culture just right, and in my opinion the culture can vary quite a bit if you cover the basics. Anyway...

What a great give away! The forum and I thank you, OP.

Last edited:
1. Salgadoxx8
2. Lil Stinkpot
4. Incognito - Thanks!
5.adnedarn
6.jimscott
7. Pebes thanks!
8. PlantFanatic Thanks!

Ok the winners are Lil Stinkpot, Incognito, adnedarn, and Pebes. I'm going to PM the winners my Paypal address.

Paypal sent.
Thanks a lot Tanukimo.

Ok I have received everyone's payments and addresses. The plants will be shipped on Monday. Good luck with them! If the plants I have recover from the temporary lack of CO2, I might do another giveaway in the spring to give more people a chance to grow these wonderful plants.

Received mine today.
Thanks again!

Got mine today, thanks! What's the floating plant?
Andrew

Got mine too. Thanks!

Back