What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Sphagnum

I have about a quart of deciduous red sphagnum available for trade. I have more if the right trade comes along. Im looking mostly for neps or sarrs. Only LLers in the neps department and purps or purp hybrids hybrids for sarrs. or if there are any smaller/ mini divisions out there that can grow in LL conditions i would be interested in those too. Thanks for taking a look, PM me or post offers on the thread.

-Travis

I have some U.sandersonii for trade are you interested?

i have more sandersonii than any one person should have lol. I would be interested if you had any vft available

Is this thesame stuff we have traded for in the past, Travis? If so, that is good stuff! Totally worth trading for those who might also be interested.

If it is a different variety, I have a S. purp x leuco division you might like.

I have a VFT recently from tissue culture. I have it hardening off in my highland nepenthes tank, but it is still pretty small. Let me know if you are interested (I might not be able to ship a weak plant until a month or two from now).

@cbennett it is the same stuff from the same place. I did find another patch of orange-ish sphag that i am in the process of negotiating with the land owner to allow me to collect some ill post another thread if that happens and spread the love

@biozest i may be interested when it hardens off, let me know when you think its ready to be put outside and we'll talk. i have lots to go around

Sounds good, man: keep me posted.

By the way, I am totally jealous that you have sphagnum bogs around you period, let alone areas where you are permitted to collect the stuff. Maybe some day I will lives some place other than Dexter, Misery.

/Word Puns

they arent bogs here. they grow on cliffs and mountains ill have to take some pics of where ive found it some time

Please note that Sphagnum natans is listed as a Threatened Native Species by the State of New York. Sarracenia purpurea is listed as a Exploitably vulnerable native plants.

Restrictions on collecting these plants apply.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/15522.html
(e) It is a violation for any person, anywhere in the state, to pick, pluck, sever, remove, damage by the application of herbicides or defoliants, or carry away, without the consent of the owner, any protected plant. Each protected plant so picked, plucked, severed, removed, damaged or carried away shall constitute a separate violation.

If you got that sphagnum nutans is threatened from the list in that article I believe you misread the the name on the restricted plant: Sparganium natans, Small Bur-reed. If not the current moss im trading with 100% certainty is S. rubellum, which I could not find any restrictions on when i first collected it last year. As for the moss im trying to get permissions to collect, I haven't really even got an up close look at it and i would definitely identify it before i collected. I made the mistake of collecting a small amount of the rubellum before identifying it without even thinking about regulations, I believe Whimgrinder was the one that pointed it out last time. I wont make that mistake again.

Travis

@cbennett it is the same stuff from the same place. I did find another patch of orange-ish sphag that i am in the process of negotiating with the land owner to allow me to collect some ill post another thread if that happens and spread the love

@biozest i may be interested when it hardens off, let me know when you think its ready to be put outside and we'll talk. i have lots to go around

Cool! I'll let you know when I have one ready.

Off-topic here...

Is there any classification key somewhere online where we could use to identify red species of sphagnum moss? TIA!

THANKS!!! Hmmm...perhaps it's time I get something like this.

Back