What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes 'Rokko' aka Wolfplant Cuttings Giveaway!

I got mine today. Thanks so much. I should have gotten them Saturday but our post office closes at 10:00 and they didn't register it until 9:24 so when I checked later all I had was a yellow slip saying I had a package.

Got them today. They look great! Thanks again mcmcnair!

Received mine today. Thank you so much for this opportunity. Looking forward to growing this fella.

just got my cuttings. Thanks a bunch Mason.

For the rest of you that I haven't emailed with your tracking number I promise they are sent out. I sent them last Friday, but I lost the receipt with the tracking numbers before I could send them to all of you. Unfortunately I don't have any cuttings left, so if your cuttings don't show up I am very sorry. I will have some rooted cuttings available in the future, but for now I'm all out. Best of luck to all of you!

I recieved my cuttings yesterday and they look good, thanks

I'm curious how you determined that this plant is Rokko. I did a search for "Wolfplant" and found some threads where you were looking for an ID on the plant. Did you end up uncovering its origins?

Now that the mad rush is over, I'm interested in the answer to the above. With a plant that many many people are going to be trading off for years, it's good to nail down the origins.

Now that the mad rush is over, I'm interested in the answer to the above. With a plant that many many people are going to be trading off for years, it's good to nail down the origins.

Agreed. I mean, so far, I've just been calling it 'Wolfplant' and referencing Mason's pictures when people have asked, but I'd love to know if/how greater origination determinations were made.

Hey guys, sorry I missed that post. Yes I can say with 100% certainty that this is indeed Nepenthes 'Rokko'. NC State aquired this plant in the early 80s, likely around 1981. Their records indicated that an employee that no longer works there, but I had met before was the one in charge at the time. So I contacted this person in hopes that they could tell me who they got it from. As it turns out the school had purchased it from Bruce Bednar. So I contacted Bruce and sent him photos of multiple lower and upper pitchers. There were only a handful of Nepenthes ever being grown at NCSU, this list included N. khasiana x alata, Rokko, Miranda, alata, and a handful of other things that there was no way this plant could be. I asked bruce if it could be khasiana x alata, but after looking at the photos he concluded that it had to be N. 'Rokko' he also remarked that it looked just like the female plant he grows as N. 'Rokko'. And there you have it! The story of how I came to discover that the "Wolfplant" is actually N. 'Rokko'!

hey are you going to have rooted cuttings for trade in the future?

yes eventually I will, they are in the process of rooting right now

Mason:

Thanks for letting us know! I'll make sure to correct my tags.

Anyone have roots yet? Mine have a few buds on the nodes, but no roots right now.

Not as far as I know, but I have some buds developing as well.

Mine already have leaves. I've never seen cuttings pop their nodes so quickly. I haven't checked for roots yet.

Small amount of roots showing up on the healthy cuttings along with buds opening now. Even the rough looking cuttings are beginning to start bud growth- not even going to attempt pulling those guys up yet.

Wow, carbonetc that's really fast! I lost one that wasn't looking too good when I got it--looked like it got some type of fungus--but the others are still doing well.

So, a few people have messaged me saying their cuttings just died, some people are having success, and others are just kind of sitting. I stuck over 200 nodes worth of cuttings myself and i'm not seeing a ton of growth, but they are sitting in open air just existing. I've only had a couple die on me though. I also kept probably the worst looking cuttings for myself because I figured better looking cuttings would be easier to root for all the new-ish people that asked for some. My advice to everyone is just be patient, mine are just beginning to break nodes now and i've got minimal roots but they are plenty calloused. If your cuttings died I will likely be doing a giveaway in the future with rooted cuttings not to mention there are tons of people now with this plant so be patient (about 6 months) and they too will have a vine of Rokko to take cuttings from and share :)

Back