What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi guys!
I am just starting out my carnivorous plant garden and was looking to expand my collection a bit.
I currently have 3 species of Drosera: D. burmannii, D. capensis, and D. madigascariensis.
I am looking for Drosera regia seeds in particular, I have been having a great deal finding a vendor for this particular species.
I did find one but then they sold out the day before I was going to order :(
Also, I think I would like to add some pitcher plant seeds to my collection.
I do not have any particular preference for these, as I have none in my collection yet.
Message me and we can chat!

Edit: I just look at my seed collection, I currently have D. capensis (red), D. burmannii, D. omissa (pink), and D. madagascariensis seeds available for trade!
Also looking for Byblis Seeds.

Last edited:
Drosera regia seed is something of a rarity among sundew growers but it is a tempting little goody. While there are those who manage to produce mature plants from seed most find the seedlings dying before they can mature. It's an advanced project, generally. Finding success even starting with a mature plant is often difficult. My recommendation would be to keep this species in mind for a time when you feel secure with your methods and conditions for growing some of the moderately difficult Drosera.

Welcome to the hobby, Phake33. I wish you success! :)

Thank you I will keep that in mind, however I am still looking to expand my collection :D

I was just about to write that you shouldn't ask for plants without offering something to trade in return, but it looks like you got on top of that :)
I'm afraid I don't have what you are looking for, but good luck in your search!

hey, as expressed.....welcome to the hobby......do you have any sarracenia at all?

Currently all I have in my collection is 4 species of drosera. I would love to add any kind of pitcher plants to my collection.

Regarding Nepenthes: is it your plan to grow anything you acquire just in the house, on a windowsill, or do you plan on engineering a grow chamber? This genus generally requires good humidity to produce pitchers, humidity above 50% for many species. A few carefully chosen varieties will do OK on the average windowsill, but it is a good idea to describe the specifics of your growing space so we can offer meaningful recommendations. Please include temperature fluctuation data (highs and lows) for a complete impression. Thanks, and welcome to the hobby.

I have a 4 foot fluorescent light setup and have engineered my own growing chambers :D
I keep my growing area at about 75-80 degrees and humidity is not an issue.
All of these plants will be grown indoors under lights, or in a terrarium.

I have a 4 foot fluorescent light setup and have engineered my own growing chambers :D
I keep my growing area at about 75-80 degrees and humidity is not an issue.
All of these plants will be grown indoors under lights, or in a terrarium.

At these temperatures, you will have to skip all of the highland type Nepenthes, as these all need a wide day-to-night temperature swing in the range of 55F at night, up to 80F max during the day. Highland Nepenthes won't last long in a grow chamber where temps remain at 75-80F. You do realize this, yes? I shouldn't assume that you aren't already aware of this :oops:

Yes, I do realize this and I can accommodate these temperature swings. Currently, this winter I am struggling to keep my drosera chamber temperature from dropping too low. But yeah I can accommodate highland types, I have another growing chamber that isn't as temperature controlled and is allowed to swing.

This is why you need to provide lots of specific data about your conditions when you announce a search for new plants. It saves the rest of us a lot of time and trouble asking a load of questions :)

where do you live phake33?

Central Illinois. I do all my growing indoors and under lights, occasionally bring them outside during the summer.

hmm.......i have a sm division of S. “Wilkerson’s Red” x Alata Red Black you can have but generally most sarracenia prefer to be grown outside....they need really bright light and a winter dormancy.....keep it cold until late march. If you want to try one it is yours for $6 which is just to cover shipping. pm me your address if you are interested.

I have a D. capillaris that has put up some scapes and is starting to bloom. The seeds should be harvestable in a couple weeks if you're willing to wait a bit. I'd love some D. madagascarensis seed.

Uhm shoot me a pm when you get seeds and I will seeif I still have some

Back