Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Trade Center

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mystery Trade Center

I thought it would be neat if people traded their extra plants but made it a surprise to the receiver. I have a few young ones of my own which should be ready later in the year for shipping, but by then I might forget about this idea. So here are the rules.

1. No revealing or hinting at what you are offering up for trade on here or in private message, that would ruin the fun!

2. No delicate state plants, they must either be viable seeds or well enough established that they have a good chance of surviving the shipping process; no one wants the surprise to be a dead plant!

3. Trade item must come with a label as to what it is and care instructions. Since people don't know what they are getting, a little growing media would probably be appreciated too.

4. Don't get all butt hurt if you get a plant you didn't want or already have, I wouldn't expect to get a nepenthes hamata through this game, it is more the fun of the mystery than anything else. Besides, maybe I am wrong and people will offer up rare stuff, who knows?

Curious to see if anyone will try this out.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the issue here would be the risk of receiving a plant you don't have the right climate/conditions to care for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed Paul. For the sake of the plants I'd want no parts of anything that absolutely requires a large temp drop at night. Ain't gonna happen during summers around here, and if I don't run the ac that low for myself and the human members of my household, I'm sure not going to do it for plants!
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the concept but I'm not sure how you would be able to actually do it. Mystery intermit, non dormant, mid humidity trade? Then a night drop, high humidity round? Just some thoughts.

Sending me most Sarrs would likely doom them to a slow death. Just don't have the conditions for them. I have a long listing of CPs I just can not grow.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had similar thoughts. How about the same thing with sub-catagories? Say, This item or these items only ship regular post, so $3 instead of $8. Or mystery Orchoides utric, or non-cp terrestrials with orange flowers, or easy to grow____..., or insanely difficult ____________ or??

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Like: highland nepenthes, Sarracenia, dionaea, Easy subtropical dews, etc. I like the idea maybe I'll try it. (word to the wise, send plants that you are ok with trading for lets say a D. burmannii or I don't know, a Sarracenia flava. If its in the sarracenia sub category)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well, it was just an idea
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast