User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utric hybrid giveaway (for postage)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Utric hybrid giveaway (for postage)

In my ongoing effort to clean up as well as free up some space, I realized that I have two utric hybrids that have not been adequately shared.

- U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia
    - U. nephrophylla x U. reniformis f. courte

These are crosses I've made in the past 2 years. The flowers for both are similar with some subtle variation. In my conditions, the nelumbifolia hybrid has been extremely floriforous (I basically have flowers all the time) & blooms are produced on extremely long stems (one was 43"). The reniformis hybrid blooms are carried on shorter stems & flower a few times per year. The leaves for both tend toward U. reniformis shape (with more variation seen in the reniformis hybrid).

I currently grow the nelumbifolia hybrid in live LFS as it hasn't done well for me in peat mixes (seeds from my 1st attempted cross all germinated then died in a peat mix). The reniformis hybrid plants are currently growing in an airy peat-based media (I've not done head-to-head media testing with them).

Based on Bob's photofinder (& my cursory forum observations), it would appear that these hybrids may be unique within the USA at this time. The nelumbifolia cross has been made by a few others (in Europe & Brazil) but I have yet to see evidence of the reniformis cross anywhere (which is somewhat surprising to me).

Qualifications for giveaway:
    - experience successfully growing section Iperua/Orchidioides (at this stage, it doesn't seem to make sense for these to go to people still figuring out how to grow).
    - willingness to periodically share divisions (freely or via fleabay, etc)
    - willingness to periodically share pics & experiences (what works, what doesn't, etc)
    - reimburse postage (both should fit in small flat rate box ~$6 iirc)
    - attribution - basically share where you got them if asked & don't take credit for the cross
    - USA only

If interested, add your TF handle to the standard sequential list (start one below). I'll PM those selected & close the offer once my supply has been adequately depleted.

U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia

U. nephrophylla x U. reniformis

Thanks for playing
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great giveaway Ron!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Bonnie - awesome giveaway! I have some of your other Utrics that have been passed around graciously by other TF members

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2. STpaMan - I've been growing U. reniformis doing great, I have some U.longifolia to give away.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Bonnie - awesome giveaway! I have some of your other Utrics that have been passed around graciously by other TF members
    2. STpaMan - I've been growing U. reniformis doing great, I have some U.longifolia to give away.
    3. hcarlton-just starting with these kinds of Utrics, but so far doing very well with them. I'd love to try a hybrid or two, this is a great point to start!
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3. hcarlton-just starting with these kinds of Utrics, but so far doing very well with them. I'd love to try a hybrid or two, this is a great point to start!
    4. NatchGreyes - I'd be happy to give away some others of this type, and these - once they grow out. From this section, I have a few of the more common plants, which are all doing well.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful flowers and photography... and that's not flattery! I did a quick search as to what was considered Iperua/Orchidioides

Utricularia section Orchidioides
    Species Range Habit1
    U. alpina2 Antilles, n South America T/E
    U. asplundii2 Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela T/E
    U. buntingiana2 n Venezuela E
    U. campbelliana2 Venezuela, Guyana (& n Brazil?) E
    U. cornigera Brazil T/EA
    U. endresii2 Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador E
    U. geminiloba2 Brazil T/L
    U. humboldtii Venezuela, Guyana, n Brazil E/EA
    U. jamesoniana2 Central America, Antilles, South America E
    U. nelumbifolia Brazil E/EA
    U. nephrophylla Brazil T/L/EA
    U. praetermissa2 Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama T/E
    U. quelchii2 Venezuela, Guyana, n Brazil T/E
    U. reniformis Brazil T/EA
    U. unifolia2 Central America, w South America T/E

My definition of success is being able to keep them going for at least one year and get them to flower. I've only had a U. alpina colony for more than a year, but they never flowered.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So were the winners of this already pm'ed?
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast