In my ongoing effort to clean up as well as free up some space, I realized that I have two utric hybrids that have not been adequately shared.
- U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia
- U. nephrophylla x U. reniformis f. courte
These are crosses I've made in the past 2 years. The flowers for both are similar with some subtle variation. In my conditions, the nelumbifolia hybrid has been extremely floriforous (I basically have flowers all the time) & blooms are produced on extremely long stems (one was 43"). The reniformis hybrid blooms are carried on shorter stems & flower a few times per year. The leaves for both tend toward U. reniformis shape (with more variation seen in the reniformis hybrid).
I currently grow the nelumbifolia hybrid in live LFS as it hasn't done well for me in peat mixes (seeds from my 1st attempted cross all germinated then died in a peat mix). The reniformis hybrid plants are currently growing in an airy peat-based media (I've not done head-to-head media testing with them).
Based on Bob's photofinder (& my cursory forum observations), it would appear that these hybrids may be unique within the USA at this time. The nelumbifolia cross has been made by a few others (in Europe & Brazil) but I have yet to see evidence of the reniformis cross anywhere (which is somewhat surprising to me).
Qualifications for giveaway:
- experience successfully growing section Iperua/Orchidioides (at this stage, it doesn't seem to make sense for these to go to people still figuring out how to grow).
- willingness to periodically share divisions (freely or via fleabay, etc)
- willingness to periodically share pics & experiences (what works, what doesn't, etc)
- reimburse postage (both should fit in small flat rate box ~$6 iirc)
- attribution - basically share where you got them if asked & don't take credit for the cross
- USA only
If interested, add your TF handle to the standard sequential list (start one below). I'll PM those selected & close the offer once my supply has been adequately depleted.
U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia
U. nephrophylla x U. reniformis
Thanks for playing