Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aquatic Carnivores Giveaway!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold up, I was talking about some marginals that someone here might want in addition to the giveaway, and that would probably help in the Aldrovanda scheme of things. I am not entering, but thanks!

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To help clarify: this isn't so much of a "I was there first" give away as it is a "What does Corey (OP) find most interesting" giveaway. I am following Paul's (Whimgrinder's) giveaway from last week that I am receiving.

To speak further, Paul (pearldiver) is offering some additional giveaways to go along with my offer... sweetening the pot, so to speak.

This would be a good time to give my kudos to Mr. pearldiver. He got me started with aquatic carnivores and has given me invaluable assistance in their culture. My setup is basically an emulation of his and the reason I have been sucessful. Thanks, man!

All of that said, some good stuff has been offered so far, but I would like to keep this open for a while so everyone could get in on it and to perhaps diversify the offerings.

@jimscott: can you clarify your post/offer?
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would strongly suggest, before sending any of the aquatic associate plants (not the carnivores) that you check state and federal noxious weed lists before making your shipments.

Many water plants are illegal to send through the mail. I believe Parrot's Feather is one included on many.

https://plants.usda.gov/java/noxiousDriver

That said, you have a nice idea that I'm sure will be appreciated by whomever wins!
    Last edited by theplantman; 06-18-2014 at 01:49 PM.

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. . That is part of the reason I said I would verify what is being sent later once the give away is decided.

This is a good time to tell everyone that it is each person's responsibility to check for restrictions before offering. I think the inflata might be disallowed in Washington state for instance. I will double check before shipping.
    Last edited by CorneliusSchrute; 06-18-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbennett4041 View Post
    To help clarify: this isn't so much of a "I was there first" give away as it is a "What does Corey (OP) find most interesting" giveaway. I am following Paul's (Whimgrinder's) giveaway from last week that I am receiving.

To speak further, Paul (pearldiver) is offering some additional giveaways to go along with my offer... sweetening the pot, so to speak.

This would be a good time to give my kudos to Mr. pearldiver. He got me started with aquatic carnivores and has given me invaluable assistance in their culture. My setup is basically an emulation of his and the reason I have been sucessful. Thanks, man!

All of that said, some good stuff has been offered so far, but I would like to keep this open for a while so everyone could get in on it and to perhaps diversify the offerings.

@jimscott: can you clarify your post/offer?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ty-For-Variety

D. binata plants
    D. binata leaf cuttings in centrifuge tubes
    D. capensis seeds
    D. capensis 'Broad Leaf' plants
    S. 'Daina's Delight' plants
    B. liniflora seeds
    D.indica seeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a nice setup Corey. I'm glad the plants are doing good for you. Quick question or two, do you think the winter hardy aldrovanda would do well in a tropical fish tank setup? The temps wouldn't be higher than 75 and would probably hover around low 70s. And also, what kind of water chemistry do you have? Acidic? low nutrients?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the questions. I generally use distilled or rainwater in a five-gallon bucket. The media is a combo of peat, sand, and clay (cheap kitty litter) depending on what I have around. The peat is always the main component; the sand mostly holds the peat down and helps keep the rooted plants stationary. Because of the peat the water is greatly acidic. In general it is mostly nutrient free.

Upon setting up a new bucket I introduce a cup or two of pond water from the body down the street. This introduces microfauna for the Aldro. I also plant the cattails or whatever else I have around (parrot's feather, water lettuce, pennywort, etc.) at this time to help balance the system. After a bit of time (ideally a month if I am patient) the setup is ready for the Aldro and utrics. I like to keep a few buckets going incase algae over-powers a bucket or something.

I protect them from freezing solid in the winter, though the top several inches may freeze. The fall weather pushes the Aldro to make turions. Some of the tender associate plants need to be removed prior to freezing.

As far as a fish tank is concerned: I imagine the nutrient level would be too high, but I have never raised fish... so I am talking out of my hat. The temps would probably be fine, but I don't know how long the Aldro will grow without dormancy. I think it would be fine, though.
    Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbennett4041 View Post
    As far as a fish tank is concerned: I imagine the nutrient level would be too high, but I have never raised fish... so I am talking out of my hat. The temps would probably be fine, but I don't know how long the Aldro will grow without dormancy. I think it would be fine, though.
    I have aldro growing in a high light, pressurized co2 injected fish tank with a decent amount of stock and other plants. It's growing well. My only concern is what to do come winter as far as dormancy. But until the winter it should grow quite well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast