What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live Sphagnum Moss Giveaway!

QSRUDDY

Hi! Im Quinton, and I'm addicted to CPs....
Up for grabs are five (5) sandwich bags stuffed with live sphagnum moss. The moss is freshly collected and free to the first five (5) members to post and pm me. All I ask is $6 for shipping sent to my paypal. Good luck! :-O

Edit: This particular species is native to Michigan and therefore considered temperate. Because it requires a dormancy, it is not suited for tropical growing environmenrts.

Last edited:
Even though I stumbled on this 1 minute after it was created I'll forfeit my share for someone who needs it more. Great giveaway

Even though I stumbled on this 1 minute after it was created I'll forfeit my share for someone who needs it more. Great giveaway

Same, Im pretty set in the LSM department at the moment. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
If this is the native Michigan species, you ought to mention that, since many people will assume this a tropical variety and they will use it in an environment that offers no winter dormancy.

If this is the native Michigan species, you ought to mention that, since many people will assume this a tropical variety and they will use it in an environment that offers no winter dormancy.

Tropical variety? Never heard of it. I know that there are dozens of species but I am under the impression that sphagnum from a cold climate could grow in a warm climate. I am also under the impression that sphagnum doesn't require a dormancy. I have sent multiple members this moss and, as far as I know, have had good luck growing it with nepenthes.
Can you clarify?

Temperate sphagnum will only last a year or so in tropical conditions without a cold dormancy. It may appear to do well for quite a while but, will inevitably fail in a tropical environment.

Last edited:
What Johnny said. Temperate Sphagnum will eventually fail in a Nepenthes setting. You need to use the type they grow in SoCal and Hawaii. Mine came from SoCal.

I wouldn't mind some moss, not concerned since I grow in a temperate climate.

1. David F

1. David F
2. Yourrealmom

I would LOVE some live moss! I will love it and culture it and name it George.

1. David F
2. Yourrealmom
3. Subrosa

I could use a bit myself to top a new temperate bog dish I'm putting together. Thanks!

So how cold might it need to get for how long to make a go of it? I assume it still needs to be moist whist dormant...how about in summer? Are high temps a deal breaker?

1. David F
2. Yourrealmom
3. Subrosa
4.Garylee123

Always wanted to start a culture I guess I start here

So how cold might it need to get for how long to make a go of it? I assume it still needs to be moist whist dormant...how about in summer? Are high temps a deal breaker?

Now I'm not for sure, as I just found out it requires a dormancy a few days ago, but I would assume a couple months of temperatures in the mid 30-40 would suffice. I would keep it moist at all times. As for heat, as long as it has ample amounts of water and is shaded, I wouldn't foresee a problem.

1. David F
2. Yourrealmom
3. Subrosa
4.Garylee123
5. Pearldiver, count me in, then. Thanks!

All are spoken for! Winners, please send the $6 to my paypal asap and I will ship them out ! :-D
Enjoy!

I got the moss yesterday, it's beautiful and clean! I saw a total of one insect in the moss which is practically a miracle...

When I get my memory device back I'll post pictures of the moss in its new homes!

Regarding dormancy, would you say the moss is entering dormancy right now where you live, or does it have a little bit of growing left to do?

I would love to see pics!
Yes, the moss is entering dormancy here. The brownish coloration that you may notice is one of the signs that starts to appear this time of year.

Here's a pic of the little dish I set up using the moss:

Attachments

• dg.jpg
    dg.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 28
Back