What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aquatic Utric giveaway.

Ngantnier

Formerly pond boy
Thanks to Pearldiver I now have a thriving community of aquatic utrics in my 20L planted tank. Problem is they are growing a bit too well and starting to choke out the other plants. There's U.gibba, an unknown species that looks like gibba but is much coarser and has black traps, U.foliosa (?) and another species that was growing in my mini-pond over the summer. $4 to cover a bubbleope and first class mail gets you a small handfull. I'll try my best to include portions of each variety, but they're kind of matted together :p. I can also toss in Sylvinia, normal and giant duckweed, and a water sprite cutting if wanted. Ok, you'll probably get duckweed and Sylvinia either way :p. Do the usual sign up, I will choose a winner via RNG on Sunday.

1. savagegarden - yes! been wanting to set up an aquatic tank, have one ready to go!

1. savagegarden - yes! been wanting to set up an aquatic tank, have one ready to go!
2.Garylee123-thanks for the chance to grow such amazing plants

Ok, you'll probably get duckweed and Sylvinia either way :p

First off, thanks for offering the giveaway.

I'm not entering but I had to say that the part I quoted cracked me up. I was already thinking it when I read the first part of your post. Then saw the admission. Darn duckweed lol.

Yep, duckweed gets everywhere:p. It forms a pretty covering at the surface, helps keep the algae at bay and provides hiding spots for fry with its roots. But it makes it difficult to work in the tank without getting an armful of it. The giant form isn't as vigorous and with leaves the size of dimes doesn't stick to everything and sylvinia is quite a bit more delicate.

2.Garylee123-thanks for the chance to grow such amazing plants
3. samolo

Since interest seems to have petered out I decided to do the drawing today. RNG gave me 2 so the winner is Garylee123. PM me your adress and I'll get it sent out sometime next week. No need to reimburse shipping since I was the recipient of a "pay it forward" giveaway recently.

Just wanted to chime in real quick and say that Salvinia and Watersprite are both listed in many states as noxious weeds. Salvinia is federally listed as well. Definite no-no to send them between states.

Great giveaway, and nice idea, but those plants get so out of control that killing them is a multi-million dollar operation. Hope you and those reading this can understand.

State lists: http://plants.usda.gov/java/noxiousDriver
Federal list: http://plants.usda.gov/java/noxious?rptType=Federal

Back