Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D. schizandra giveaway

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    To win you will need to post a link of you inquiring about the care of this plant. The inquiring must have happened before the giveaway started. The person who has the most links their own posts wins. If there is a tie I may offer more than one, or let the random number selector decide.
    That is a very cleaver way to pick a winner! High Five to you Jcal!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the optimal conditions to grow a D. schizandra in? Or what has worked for you?
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-13-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your kind words.

I do hope that someone posts a link because I do want a winner. But if no one can, then no one is worthy.....

Best conditions for this plant. 100% humidity, cold temps and very low light. Without a combination of these they suffer and die.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chibae View Post
    Very generous offer Jcal. It will fun watching this thread play out.
    Agreed!

"Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do hope that someone posts a link because I do want a winner. But if no one can, then no one is worthy.....

Best conditions for this plant. 100% humidity, cold temps and very low light. Without a combination of these they suffer and die.
    Mine grow well in intermediate temps, agree on the other two.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost sounds like a mushroom!

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The high humidity and low temps have always scared me. I have some growing in a pot of LFS which is filled to the rim with water, then allowed to get down near the bottom before refilling. This sits directly in front of my swamp cooler, which generally keeps the cool, but far from "high" humidity. I've heard of them doing well in completely enclosed containers but have always worried about rising temps if the sun moves and manages to get directly on the container (although they are pretty far back, on the north wall) Since I've had these a few years, they've always stayed smaller than a dime, but do tend to produce more around them in little batches. I have decided to start 2 containers which will be enclosed and see how they do. This is an awesome post, both offering the plant to someone who doesn't have it, but has done some research, as well as providing information to others. I wanted to say thanks for both of those things, and wish you continued success and hope to update you on my progress (since this topic seems informational as well as a giveaway).

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Andrew!

I have been growing them two different ways. Some in closed containers and others in an open environment.
    The closed containers( ones growing under a glass bell) grow much larger than the ones growing in an open setup. They quickly grow to the sides of the glass. Once they touch the glass the growth stops. I need to get some larger glass containers to see just how big I can get them. They are in a north window with no direct sun so I don't worry about heating up.
    The open air ones stay small.

I instantly see a difference with I feed these plants. They like to be feed. To feed schizandra I use bloodworm soup. I just rehydrate some bloodworms and use a eye dropped to place a drop or too of the fluid on a leaf. Every time I leave any solid material on the leaf it molds and I end up loosing they leaf. I'm sure due to the high humidity. If I use the soup only I don't have any issues. Prolifera can takes some of the worms bodies without much of an issue. I highly recommend feeding these plants..... You WILL see a difference.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast