Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: D. schizandra giveaway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a links to two of mine

I once grew this species - see links below. Unfortunately personal health circumstances caused me to lose it. I would appreciate the chance to grow it again.

Two earlier post 1 and post 2 about D. schizandra.

It would be awesome to continue learning to grow this species the best I possibly can. Hopefully I can continue the effort to make it more available, as well.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-13-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph, I would be honored to send you a few plants!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    The closed containers( ones growing under a glass bell) grow much larger than the ones growing in an open setup. They quickly grow to the sides of the glass. Once they touch the glass the growth stops. I need to get some larger glass containers to see just how big I can get them. They are in a north window with no direct sun so I don't worry about heating up.
    The open air ones stay small.

I instantly see a difference with I feed these plants. They like to be feed. To feed schizandra I use bloodworm soup. I just rehydrate some bloodworms and use a eye dropped to place a drop or too of the fluid on a leaf. Every time I leave any solid material on the leaf it molds and I end up loosing they leaf. I'm sure due to the high humidity. If I use the soup only I don't have any issues. Prolifera can takes some of the worms bodies without much of an issue. I highly recommend feeding these plants..... You WILL see a difference.
    Definitely agree with everything Jcal writes. They like humidity & being fed. Here's an old thread with info & pics. If you want to see how large they can get, start with glass larger than 7". The side benefit - with food & size, the plants often flower.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great giveaway. I'm curious to know what temps you mean by cool. I've been sticking with the 55 - 70 range, and that seems to be pretty good. Definitely needs low light for good growth. I always forget to feed them, but, like the other Queensland Sisters, I have no doubt that feeding would cause rapid growth and flowering.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    Joseph, I would be honored to send you a few plants!
    ^^^^ That's Happy!!! ^^^^

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Two earlier post 1 and post 2 about D. schizandra.
    He is worthy! He is the chosen one!

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrads Joseph. May they grow well for you.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I can at least repeat some earlier successes I've had with this species, and get them to the point where they make those kiki's like in Jcal's opening pic. I'll certainly try to repeat the generosity.

I too have enjoyed sharing CP by giving some away. When I first obtained P. 'Sethos', which was misidentified as P. 'Weser', and I didn't realize it until I'd propagated a few dozen of them, and gave them away, all with the incorrect identification. Partly why I've worked so hard to use nomenclature precisely, since then.

I also registered the cultivar Drosera regia 'Big Easy'. I then propagated those as rapidly as I could, and sold, traded, and gave away several hundred, some years ago. Until recently life circumstances had put a kabosh on my CP collection and that made me refrain from interacting about them, cause it made me too sad to think about the good ole days. Well the sun is starting to shine, now. I thank everyone for helping me restore my ability to enjoy these wonderful plants, and it's very nice the way we share the things we discover about them.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-15-2014 at 05:17 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123