What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. schizandra giveaway

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
Yup you read right.

I am offering one pup off my mother plant.
I spent months and months trying to get this plant in my collection. Had people who had extras but would not budge no matter how many plants or money I threw at them. I greatly desired this sundew and it took a lot of effort for me to finally get it in my collection. This is one plant they I don't take for granted. And you shouldn't either. Growing isn't the easiest either. But I want to make one growers story different than mine.

Terms:
I spent some time thinking of how to host the next giveaway. Here's the best my noodle could provide.

To win you will need to post a link of you inquiring about the care of this plant. The inquiring must have happened before the giveaway started. The person who has the most links their own posts wins. If there is a tie I may offer more than one, or let the random number selector decide.

Winner will pay $6 for shipping.

Wow. Floored on the opportunity from this giveaway.
Best of luck to the winner and Jcal for that extremely unusual offering..

Very generous offer Jcal. It will fun watching this thread play out.

Oh my gosh, Jcal, how kind of you to seperate the people who really wanted D. schizandra and the people who just enter because they can enter:)
Good luck to the winner:D

Last edited by a moderator:
nice lookin' plant, i'd be up for reading about how to care for it--post links if ya got em

I never even knew this species existed!
Good luck to anyone entering :)

they kinda look like dandelions with sundew hairs all over them.Very interesting

To win you will need to post a link of you inquiring about the care of this plant. The inquiring must have happened before the giveaway started. The person who has the most links their own posts wins. If there is a tie I may offer more than one, or let the random number selector decide.

That is a very cleaver way to pick a winner! High Five to you Jcal! :D

What are the optimal conditions to grow a D. schizandra in? Or what has worked for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your kind words.

I do hope that someone posts a link because I do want a winner. But if no one can, then no one is worthy.....

Best conditions for this plant. 100% humidity, cold temps and very low light. Without a combination of these they suffer and die.

I do hope that someone posts a link because I do want a winner. But if no one can, then no one is worthy.....

Best conditions for this plant. 100% humidity, cold temps and very low light. Without a combination of these they suffer and die.
Mine grow well in intermediate temps, agree on the other two.

Almost sounds like a mushroom!

The high humidity and low temps have always scared me. I have some growing in a pot of LFS which is filled to the rim with water, then allowed to get down near the bottom before refilling. This sits directly in front of my swamp cooler, which generally keeps the cool, but far from "high" humidity. I've heard of them doing well in completely enclosed containers but have always worried about rising temps if the sun moves and manages to get directly on the container (although they are pretty far back, on the north wall) Since I've had these a few years, they've always stayed smaller than a dime, but do tend to produce more around them in little batches. I have decided to start 2 containers which will be enclosed and see how they do. This is an awesome post, both offering the plant to someone who doesn't have it, but has done some research, as well as providing information to others. I wanted to say thanks for both of those things, and wish you continued success and hope to update you on my progress (since this topic seems informational as well as a giveaway).

Andrew

Thanks Andrew!

I have been growing them two different ways. Some in closed containers and others in an open environment.
The closed containers( ones growing under a glass bell) grow much larger than the ones growing in an open setup. They quickly grow to the sides of the glass. Once they touch the glass the growth stops. I need to get some larger glass containers to see just how big I can get them. They are in a north window with no direct sun so I don't worry about heating up.
The open air ones stay small.

I instantly see a difference with I feed these plants. They like to be feed. To feed schizandra I use bloodworm soup. I just rehydrate some bloodworms and use a eye dropped to place a drop or too of the fluid on a leaf. Every time I leave any solid material on the leaf it molds and I end up loosing they leaf. I'm sure due to the high humidity. If I use the soup only I don't have any issues. Prolifera can takes some of the worms bodies without much of an issue. I highly recommend feeding these plants..... You WILL see a difference.

Last edited:
Here's a links to two of mine

I once grew this species - see links below. Unfortunately personal health circumstances caused me to lose it. I would appreciate the chance to grow it again.

Two earlier post 1 and post 2 about D. schizandra.

It would be awesome to continue learning to grow this species the best I possibly can. Hopefully I can continue the effort to make it more available, as well.

Last edited:
Joseph, I would be honored to send you a few plants!

The closed containers( ones growing under a glass bell) grow much larger than the ones growing in an open setup. They quickly grow to the sides of the glass. Once they touch the glass the growth stops. I need to get some larger glass containers to see just how big I can get them. They are in a north window with no direct sun so I don't worry about heating up.
The open air ones stay small.

I instantly see a difference with I feed these plants. They like to be feed. To feed schizandra I use bloodworm soup. I just rehydrate some bloodworms and use a eye dropped to place a drop or too of the fluid on a leaf. Every time I leave any solid material on the leaf it molds and I end up loosing they leaf. I'm sure due to the high humidity. If I use the soup only I don't have any issues. Prolifera can takes some of the worms bodies without much of an issue. I highly recommend feeding these plants..... You WILL see a difference.
Definitely agree with everything Jcal writes. They like humidity & being fed. Here's an old thread with info & pics. If you want to see how large they can get, start with glass larger than 7". The side benefit - with food & size, the plants often flower.

Great giveaway. I'm curious to know what temps you mean by cool. I've been sticking with the 55 - 70 range, and that seems to be pretty good. Definitely needs low light for good growth. I always forget to feed them, but, like the other Queensland Sisters, I have no doubt that feeding would cause rapid growth and flowering.

Back