Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LF prickly pears and dragon fruit seeds or pads/cuttings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all,

I'm coming into this pretty late but if you are looking for dragon fruit seeds and have access to the actual fruit, all of those little black seeds are viable.

What I normally do is cut the white/pink/yellow part of the fruit into small cubes and press them through a small strainer or piece of cheese cloth with a bit of running water. Collect what seeds you can from the slimy pulp left over and then lay them on a paper towel to dry. Next, after they dry, scrape the little black seeds off the paper towel and throw them on top of your favorite seed starting mix. They really aren't picky. Just mist them every so often being careful not to bury the seeds and you'll have seedlings in a week or so.

Cheers,
    -J.P
    Last edited by EdaxFlamma; 12-24-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On rare occasions I see dragonfruit fruit locally for like $6 for one! I have yet to pull the trigger on that yet. But I do from time to time start mangos from seed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bunch of lil seedlings growing atm. Really easy to grow so far. A lot faster than san pedro seedlings in the growth dept lol.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdaxFlamma View Post
    Hey all,

I'm coming into this pretty late but if you are looking for dragon fruit seeds and have access to the actual fruit, all of those little black seeds are viable.

What I normally do is cut the white/pink/yellow part of the fruit into small cubes and press them through a small strainer or piece of cheese cloth with a bit of running water. Collect what seeds you can from the slimy pulp left over and then lay them on a paper towel to dry. Next, after they dry, scrape the little black seeds off the paper towel and throw them on top of your favorite seed starting mix. They really aren't picky. Just mist them every so often being careful not to bury the seeds and you'll have seedlings in a week or so.

Cheers,
    -J.P
    Wow, best Christmas gift ever! I have never thought of that before. We even get dragon fruit in Alaska, but they are 8-12 dollars each.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha yeah it is really simple. Not sure what kind of fruit you would get but it could be fun little project.

I was so excited to try dragon fruit thinking it would be like a sweet milky vanilla creme flavor. Got all those seedlings going and then tried the fruit... a deranged lovechild of a kiwi and pumpkin... so disappointed.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kiwi and pumpkin!? That doesnt sound appetizing at all lol. What color was the inside/outside of the fruit you tasted?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was what I would consider the "basic" variety. Pink outside with white flesh dotted with black seeds. Texture was like a combination of kiwi and pear complete with the sensation of sclereids.

Very bland over all. The flavors were there if you wanted to find them but very subtle.
    Last edited by EdaxFlamma; 12-26-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Ive read the red varieties have a lot more flavor. I have read the white varieties were bland.

Anyone ever taste a prickly pear fruit?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast