What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LF prickly pears and dragon fruit seeds or pads/cuttings

Thanks! Id be interested in all 3 but mind if we hold off just a bit and let me get caught up on all the trades I have going on atm?

Take your time. I can get those most anytime.

Thanks!

Hey all,

I'm coming into this pretty late but if you are looking for dragon fruit seeds and have access to the actual fruit, all of those little black seeds are viable.

What I normally do is cut the white/pink/yellow part of the fruit into small cubes and press them through a small strainer or piece of cheese cloth with a bit of running water. Collect what seeds you can from the slimy pulp left over and then lay them on a paper towel to dry. Next, after they dry, scrape the little black seeds off the paper towel and throw them on top of your favorite seed starting mix. They really aren't picky. Just mist them every so often being careful not to bury the seeds and you'll have seedlings in a week or so.

Cheers,
-J.P

Last edited:
On rare occasions I see dragonfruit fruit locally for like $6 for one! I have yet to pull the trigger on that yet. But I do from time to time start mangos from seed.

I have a bunch of lil seedlings growing atm. Really easy to grow so far. A lot faster than san pedro seedlings in the growth dept lol.

Hey all,

I'm coming into this pretty late but if you are looking for dragon fruit seeds and have access to the actual fruit, all of those little black seeds are viable.

What I normally do is cut the white/pink/yellow part of the fruit into small cubes and press them through a small strainer or piece of cheese cloth with a bit of running water. Collect what seeds you can from the slimy pulp left over and then lay them on a paper towel to dry. Next, after they dry, scrape the little black seeds off the paper towel and throw them on top of your favorite seed starting mix. They really aren't picky. Just mist them every so often being careful not to bury the seeds and you'll have seedlings in a week or so.

Cheers,
-J.P

Wow, best Christmas gift ever! I have never thought of that before. We even get dragon fruit in Alaska, but they are 8-12 dollars each.

Haha yeah it is really simple. Not sure what kind of fruit you would get but it could be fun little project.

I was so excited to try dragon fruit thinking it would be like a sweet milky vanilla creme flavor. Got all those seedlings going and then tried the fruit... a deranged lovechild of a kiwi and pumpkin... so disappointed.

Kiwi and pumpkin!? That doesnt sound appetizing at all lol. What color was the inside/outside of the fruit you tasted?

It was what I would consider the "basic" variety. Pink outside with white flesh dotted with black seeds. Texture was like a combination of kiwi and pear complete with the sensation of sclereids.

Very bland over all. The flavors were there if you wanted to find them but very subtle.

Last edited:
Thanks! Ive read the red varieties have a lot more flavor. I have read the white varieties were bland.

Anyone ever taste a prickly pear fruit?

The one I sent the pic of with the oddball shaped leaves, my brother juiced some of them. I did not find it very tasty. It had a strong flavor and was very dark purple. The cactus pads are sometimes used in Mexican cooking.

Thanks! Ive read the red varieties have a lot more flavor. I have read the white varieties were bland.

Anyone ever taste a prickly pear fruit?

I've had the fruit off a wild variety I found growing in Florida. The gopher tortoises seemed to like them so I decided to give them a try. They were sweet and tart at the same time, dark red/purple flesh and very seedy.

I've also tried some that I found at a local grocery store. The fruit was 3 to 4 times the size of the ones I found growing wild, lighter in color, less seedy and much sweeter. I assume this was a cultivated variety.

Even though, the fruit was seedier on the wild ones, I prefer them to the grocery store plants.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. Ive been doing a lot of reading and vid watching and I'm shocked at how many cacti are edible/ have edible fruit. Im thinking about collecting lots of fruit bearing cacti.

Your box of random/what I think are different Prickly pads are on the way and should arrive tomorrow. One looks kinda common to me, but you mentioned looking at the needles and such- that one seems to be a decent bump where they come out, so hopefully that interests you. I'm curious to hear what you think of them, hopefully it's some you don't have yet ;)
Andrew

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew! I'm looking forward to them. I'm sure I'll be happy. I'll let you know when they arrive.

Back