User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aristolochia macroura giveaway (a Nepenthes wannabe)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahah i' sure you'll have some winners who could pick up from you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1: radagast
    2: yourrealmom
    3: axelrod12
    4. hcarlton
    5. dozer1028 very cool.. I'm in...
    6. knepenthe
    7. goods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us know when you want postage payments. ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dozer1028 View Post
    Let us know when you want postage payments. ...
    Thanks for the reminder. I'll try to contact everyone tonight.

I was at the post office a few minutes ago, and everything seems more or less back to normal. Of course we still lose a day this week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I love Aristolochias! Do you grow any other species such as A. grandiflora?

I had a nice collection of them a few years back, including some NO-ID one from Chile that was a ground covering scrambler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm down for one if they're still available!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the Chilean plant either A. bridgesii or A. chilensis? I just did a search and found a paper that said those are the only two Aristolochias in Chile. That could be wrong, or out of date... My mom has A. chilensis, a plant that I picked up at Annie's Annuals. It needs more sun than I have, and is also prone to spider mites.

I have a few other species and hybrids:

A. fimbriata. I bought a vigorous 1 gallon pot for $9 this year. A strong bloomer, and each flower seems to be quickly followed with a seed pod.

A. grandiflora: I got a Logee's plant as a gift, propagated it, but eventually it died. This plant likes a lot more heat than we have, especially in winter. So it comes in for winter, and then seems to do poorly. I did give rooted cuttings to a few people with better conditions (Favian?).

A. leuconeura: Used to have, it, but I think seedlings eventually died. Again, cold (or cool, technically, since I don't get frost) is a problem.

A. trilobata (not A. macroura--apparently both are best described as two varieties of A. trilobata): I might still have this, but I think it died at some point.

A. gigantea and hybrids. This is where it gets confusing, and hopefully I explain it correctly. There's a theory (from Philipp Gießibl in Germany, I think) , which I think is almost certainly right. The suggestion is that there are two species: A. gigantea brasiliensis (the one with huge, lemon-scented, 14-16 inch flowers) and A. elegans (littorals) with 3 inch flowers. Everything else called A. gigantea is some sort of hybrid between the two. Generally, the larger the flower, and the more of a tendency to have the lemon scent (actually it smells identical to Lemon Pledge), the higher the fraction of A. gigantea brasiliensis. People have remade plants resembling typical A. gigantea using A. gigantea brasiliensis and A. elegans.

So assuming that idea is correct, I have one species, and two hybrids:

A. gigantea brasilensis (1 year old seedlings, so far unbloomed).

A. gigantea (typical form). Perhaps 1/2 A. gigantea brasiliensis, 1/2 A. elegans. Originally from Kartuz, now sold by Grassy Knoll Exotics. 10 inch flowers, lemon scented. Especially good for Southern California, but will bloom in N. California. A friend bloomed this in her apartment in January in Boulder, CO.

This was in Sunnyvale, CA:

I got the plant back from Grassy Knoll, and so far it's limping along, planted in the ground. Possibly again it's a little too cool, or not enough sun (trees and buildings, not climate).

UCBG Aristolochia: 1/4 A. gigantea brasiliensis, 3/4 A. elegans. There was a bit of discussion of this plant that UCBG was selling as A. durior x elegans. A. durior is cold hardy (zone 5!) and has a different number of chromosomes. The hybrid is not what it's claimed to be, and UCBG still needs to fix this. Most "experts" who have seen it think it is part A. elegans, part the "typical" A. gigantea (which is presumably already part A. elegans). So 1/4 A. gigantea brailiensis is the simplest interpretation, but there could be others. It has 5-6 inch flowers (at least) no scent. It maybe better for cool climates than those that are bigger and have a higher fraction of A. gigantea brasilensis in their background.

I hopefully have a couple small Aristolochia californica. If it's dormant right now, it could get discarded...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully I've contacted everyone below.

I forgot to ask everyone if they wanted Aristolochia fimbriata seeds. These are from this years crop--I just picked the most recent ones a couple days ago. That species is known for being small, trailing rather than climbing, variegated, with small but unusual flowers. A caudiciform. It's also supposedly hardy to zone 7. Aristolochia seeds are surface sown, and can be a bit slow.

1: radagast
    2: yourrealmom
    3: axelrod12
    4. hcarlton
    5. dozer1028 very cool.. I'm in...
    6. knepenthe
    7. goods
    8. MasterLow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast