User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aristolochia macroura giveaway (a Nepenthes wannabe)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aristolochia macroura giveaway (a Nepenthes wannabe)

I know a lot of people who grow Carnivorous Plants also grow Aristolochias. I'm always surprised that more don't.

These I'll send for postage. I am also looking for trades, for Nepenthes plants, seedlings, cuttings (rooted, unrooted). See also my other post: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-for-Nepenthes

The one I have available for postage is Aristolochia macroura. I have 12 that were rooted a few weeks ago, potted up, and adjusted to inside humidity. I also have 30 more rooted cuttings that I just removed from their crowded rooting chambers and will pot up after I finish typing. The giveaway is initially for the 12, but I will hopefully follow up with some of the 30.

At first glance, the flowers of Aristolochia macroura bear some resemblance to the pitchers of Nepenthes. Both are modified leaves and are designed to catch (usually) insects. The Aristolochia does it for pollination, not food, and releases the flies after a day (inward pointing hairs shrivel, I think), hopefully covered with pollen to visit the next flower...

As far as I know this is basically an outdoor plant, although I assume there are people skilled enough to grow it and bloom it inside. It tends to bloom in the Spring around here, and in our climate is probably a zone 9b plant.

Here are photos of a previous plant in bloom which I grew in Sunnyvale, CA., cuttings originally from Albert H. The current clone is from Annie's Annuals, and may or may not be the same clone. I don't know.

Aristolochia trilobata: 1 flower + 2 buds photo IMG_3833.jpg

photo 821776b9-d540-4562-956f-77ecdbea1ff3_zps607b534f.jpg

And here are the 12 rooted cuttings that are ready to go:

photo AristolochiamacrourapottedcuttingsforTerraForums_zps58713f6d.jpg

And the 30 that I will pot up tonight.

photo AristolochiamacrourarootedcuttingsforTerraForum_zps6afe9d07.jpg

Even single node cuttings root easily and quickly with bottom heat, using moist perlite as a medium, in an enclosed environment.

Shipping will likely cost $7.15 potted (or a little less closer to CA) for Priority mail, although there may be cheaper options, such as a First Class Parcel ($4 roughly, again potted), although I don't have many small boxes. I am not opposed to trying to send one in a padded envelope, (partially) bareroot, which would be somewhere around $3-$4. The cheaper options might be particularly risky this time of year.

Randy
    Last edited by RandyS; 12-24-2014 at 04:10 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to give a better view of the 12 rooted cuttings that are ready to go. All or most are single node cuttings with new growth. Roots and new growth typically come out of the node, and roots also out of the bottom cut site. So the cuttings are typically buried a little higher than the node.

photo Aristolochiamacrourarootedcuttingssideview_zps56fe92eb.png

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM'ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1: radagast
    2: yourrealmom

what a cool looking plant! I'm very interested. I'm afraid I don't have any nep cuttings to offer in trade, but if you're interested in Drosera I have lots of pygmy sundew gemmae that I'm parceling out. at risk of blowing up your inbox I'll PM you as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3: axelrod12

Count me in as well, very interesting looking plant. I don't really grow news but I may have some ping cuttings or sarr divisions I can spare, if your interested feel free to PM me.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4. hcarlton

I have 2 species of Aristolochia, this is one my seeds failed on...
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4. hcarlton
    5.dozer1028 very cool.. I'm in...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)