What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. x areolata: FREE for one winner...

I, too, found that interesting, DragonsEye. 'Bout time the she-dinos got some respect.

T-rex is proof those enlargement pills DO work :-))

^^^ If you don't make an argument for birds being extant dinosaurs.

Compsognathids were one of my favorite parts of the novel Jurassic Park. Not so much the movie Lost World, though.

Never read the book maybe I should have u seen the trailer roe the new movie it looks awesome

Some paleontologists (Namely Robert Bakker, I believe he was the first to propose the theory) believe that some of the megapredators such as the tyrannosaurs and other large theropods had kinetic skulls. That is, like snakes, their skulls evolved in many movable pieces to allow a range of motion that would enable them to eat some pretty big things.

Hmm, apparently there is some argument that this might not be true -- http://openpaleo.blogspot.com/2009/01/death-of-kinetic-dinosaur-skull.html

Last edited:
I read my info in a book that was published in 1986. The Dinosaur Heresies, by Robert Bakker.

In addition to the medullary bone, there has also been a hypothesis that the chevron bones (The protrusions beneath the spine on the tail) are different sizes in different genders, though it was later called into question if I remember correctly.

The idea was that females had smaller chevron bones as the base of their tails to allow the passage of eggs, while males had longer ones to anchor certain muscles - which makes sense if they were so well endowed :-))

While we are on the subject of Dinoaurs, exactly how stegosaurus and it's close relatives (Tuojiangosaurus, anyone?) brought about the next generation is still a bit of a mystery.

If spikes on the back weren't enough, some of them had spikes protruding from shoulder and hip as well.

Back