What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Isabelia pulchella (orchid) giveaway

gnathaniel

Subsurface Lurker
I'm giving away a mounted multi-lead division of Isabelia (Neolauchea) pulchella, a small pendent epi/lithophyte from southern Brazil that is one of my favorite orchid species. Incredibly tolerant, it grows well in near-full sun to deep shade and temps of 32-100 F, as long as kept moist/humid most of the time plus well ventilated in hot weather. I like these mounted, but baskets or well-drained pots should work fine, too. I'll try to snap a photo of the actual giveaway in the next few days, in the meantime here's a recent flower on my bigger plant:

Isabelia (Neolauchea) pulchella by gnathaniel, on Flickr

RULES:

1. Numbered list, with winner drawn by RNG on 2/15/15;
2. You pay me shipping ($6) via paypal, shipping only to lower 48 US w/o heatpack (though see above re: temp-tolerance);
3. Within the next month, you must give away something else not extremely common;
4. You must put numbers 3-4 on your giveaway;
5. Please be patient if I'm a little slow responding, I'm crazy busy right now but I'll get your orchid mailed out to you!

BTW, this is in response to Charlie's Utric. humboldtii giveaway, a very nice kickoff to my Utricularia collection. Thanks, Charlie! :)

1) RandyS--thanks!

I would add that I like the idea of a giveaway that spawns another giveaway.

I already have it, and want to add that it's also a very drought tolerant orchid as well.

Nate, for those of us in the Great White North, would it be okay -- should one of said people be the winner -- for the shipping of your offering and their giveaway, in turn, be delayed until April or so when temps warm up?

Very generous offer, btw.

I already have it, and want to add that it's also a very drought tolerant orchid as well.

Good point, they're more vigorous for me if grown moist but once established they'll tolerate dry conditions for a long time. The only circumstance in which I find moisture levels essential is establishing new divisions, for me they don't last long unless I keep them moist and humid until they root in well.

Nate, for those of us in the Great White North, would it be okay -- should one of said people be the winner -- for the shipping of your offering and their giveaway, in turn, be delayed until April or so when temps warm up?

Definitely, not a problem! For you or anyone winning, just let me know if you need a delayed ship date and I should be able to accommodate. Main caveat is that my wife and I will be getting heavily into final papers and exams in April so my response time, etc. will be a little worse than usual, but I'll make it work. As for reciprocal giveaway, I don't have a problem with you delaying until feasible; this is all on the honor system anyway and I'm certainly not anticipating 'policing' compliance for you or anyone else...

Last edited:
I would add that I like the idea of a giveaway that spawns another giveaway.

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree! Giveaways are a very cool thing about this forum and I think building that condition into giveaway offers is an ingenious way to keep them rolling.

I am in!
I can meet all requirements, but what do you mean by "numbers 3-4" in number four?
Thanks for the offer, my GA neighbor in Athens (Home of the B-52's)!

1) RandyS
2) Acro

I am in!
I can meet all requirements, but what do you mean by "numbers 3-4" in number four?

Good question! In combination, rules 3 & 4 could essentially be termed a 'perpetuation clause,' much like in a chain letter. The giveaway you put up in response must require a further giveaway as one condition (#3) and as another condition must require that THAT giveaway also require a giveaway (#4), that requires a giveaway, and so on... If these conditions are properly followed, this will continue working its way around the forum indefinitely.

1) RandyS
2) Acro
3) DragonsEye

Good question! In combination, rules 3 & 4 could essentially be termed a 'perpetuation clause,' much like in a chain letter. The giveaway you put up in response must require a further giveaway as one condition (#3) and as another condition must require that THAT giveaway also require a giveaway (#4), that requires a giveaway, and so on... If these conditions are properly followed, this will continue working its way around the forum indefinitely.
Got it, thanks!
It sounds like a good plan.

1) RandyS
2) Acro
3) DragonsEye
Love the colors! :D

Good question! In combination, rules 3 & 4 could essentially be termed a 'perpetuation clause,' much like in a chain letter. .

Of course with a chain letter, the number (ideally) increases with each iteration. Someone needs to have a giveaway that does that.

1) RandyS
2) Acro
3) DragonsEye
4) CorneliusSchrute

I have a couple mounts with which I could pay this forward. *fingerscrossed*

1) RandyS
2) Acro
3) DragonsEye
4) CorneliusSchrute
5) Pearldiver drought I can do! Especially in later summer. The Aldrovanda is waking up, can send out a couple sprigs.

Last chance everyone, I'll draw for and post the winner just after midnight EST. Also, our weather is predicted to be pretty cold this week so I'd prefer to wait on shipping until next Friday or Saturday, and of course if it's cold where you are I'll hold until you're comfortable about temps in transit.

Winning number is 5, congratulations pearldiver!

Back