Here's the story. I had a giveaway posted for some plants, which had generated comments, but no actual responses for the plants. Because I thought the climate was right for selling, I ended the giveaway prematurely. I just sold the plants for $69. I decided the right thing to do was to return something to the forum. I did get a green membership. I'll also make a really nice Agapetes plant a giveaway. This is one of those spectacular plants which is also surprisingly cheap, if one knows where to look in the Bay Area.
My other goal is to encourage people not only to have more giveaways (although there are some pretty amazing ones already), but find other ways to give back.
Anyway, here's what a nice Agapetes serpens plant (not the one for the giveaway) looks like in bloom. My mom's plant last February. It's even more spectacular this year.
And here's the plant that is the subject of the giveaway. In its original pot:
The lighter colored branches are new growth. It's growing fast.
I got lucky, and the plant had a small root system. I suspect this reflects the fact that it's a caudicifom and epiphyte. So I was able to move it to a 3 1/2 inch pot with little problem. So shipping will be reasonable.
And the caudex:
I should add some comments about the climate requirements of the plant. It is basically a cool grower, but more tolerant of hot days than most cool growers, and also tolerant of some frost. Shade in the afternoon can make up for some heat. Cool nights are probably important. Even thought it has a caudex, I don't think it likes to dry out very much.
Here are the details of the giveaway:
1. Numbered list, with winner drawn by Random Number Generator on 2/28/15;
2. Winner pays shipping ($11.55, or less if closer to CA, 1-2 lb Priority Mail) via paypal, shipping only to lower 48 US.
3. Winner gives away something else not extremely common in a new giveaway;
4. Winner either gives away a second item, OR gives back in another way ("green" TF membership, plants to a school, seeds/plants back to the sponsor of Terra Forums, ICPS membership, etc. Be creative, and it's all honor system...
5. Winner must put numbers 3-5 on their giveaway(s) to make to make this propagate;
I'm hoping the number of giveaways could slowly increase each cycle. Doubling each time seems a bit too fast. Maybe this will work? If #4 can be written more effectively I'm curious what ideas people have. The main concern is that it needs to be brief.