Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paw Paw Trees for Trade... and Two to Giveaway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear that fruit quality varies widely from plant to plant, ranging from bland to incredible.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More around Nacogdoches and the pine belt, where the soil is more acidic, I have not seem them down south my way. But if you dug the soil deep enough avoided or got rid of calachie and replaced it or treated it it might could work.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would LOVE a Paw Paw Tree! I tried the fruit once and it's a true delicacy!
    However, I don't think they do well in zone 8b, I don't think they do well as indoor plants and finally, I don't have any Sarracenia or Dionaea to trade.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading more on these trees, they sound like the almost perfect
    candidate to perhaps plant in the corner of my yard with nothing .
    I love fruit trees and think that edible fruiting plants are pretty awesome.
    How vigorous do these grow?

Quote Originally Posted by Acro View Post
    I would LOVE a Paw Paw Tree! I tried the fruit once and it's a true delicacy!
    However, I don't think they do well in zone 8b, I don't think they do well as indoor plants and finally, I don't have any Sarracenia or Dionaea to trade.
    How would you describe the flavor?
    Last edited by NemJones; 03-17-2015 at 12:10 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by theplantman; 03-17-2015 at 05:55 AM.

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their growth rate seems to be somewhere between a red bud and a maple for me, though keep in mind I have only had them for a year and this batch is my first go. There is a good chance they will slow down this year having germinated last.

The most notable aspect of their early culture in my opinion is the need of shady conditions until they reach adequate size. Most sources recommend growing them out in the shade of larger trees until they reach around three years of age; I grow mine along the north side of my house with no direct sun save a touch in the early morning. The sixteen or so trees that I started with in a community planting thrived and leafed heavily last year with Osmocote pellets in the media. They will tolerate full sun later on from what I have read, and I plan on making that happen next year. The trees I keep will see mostly shaded conditions again this season.

From what I have read, fruit can be expected around year five or so.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NemJones View Post
    How would you describe the flavor?
    They are a custard like fruit and the taste is similar to Sugar-apple (Annona squamosal).
    If you've never had a Sugar-apple, the next best thing I could describe it's flavor to be like, would be banana, but it does not really taste like that. It's a unique flavor all in it's own!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12