User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paw Paw Trees for Trade... and Two to Giveaway

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paw Paw Trees for Trade... and Two to Giveaway

When I am not composing rhyming and alliterative titles for my threads I grow pawpaw trees from seed. Not coincidentally, I received the seed from a member of this forum, actually. You can see the culprits in question with other young trees behind me in this picture.

I am interested in trading a few of these for Sarracenia... or maybe even the right Dionaea. Let me know what you have to offer.

I also want to give away two of these trees for the sake of reciprocity; I will even cover shipping costs. To win both trees simply be the first to guess my three year old's favorite television show. Hint: he is a boy, and I am a pacifist to the extreme.
    Last edited by CorneliusSchrute; 03-15-2015 at 07:42 PM.

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A craptacular night time shot of the saplings in question. They are roughly one year old and average around seven inches in height. <-- rough guesstimate

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have these in east Texas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat to know, Paul. I knew they were endemic throughout the Middle West and into New England. I didn't realize they roamed down to your neighborhood.

I have never had the fruit, but intend to in "three to five years." I hear it is ungodly delicious.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you looking for?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've grown these from seed and they're one of the most fantastic and beautiful trees. Big, droopy, tropical-looking leaves, brilliant yellow fall color, cool flowers that smell very bell-peppery (not stinky like death). The bark is some of the strongest and most fibrous among native trees; I peeled some off and strapped a rock to a stick and made a workable hammer in a pinch.

You have to watch the fruit carefully--every form of wildlife wants it and will even get to it before it's ripe. I didn't find the texture or flavor that great. My honest opinion was that the flavor was like a bell pepper that someone dumped a bunch of sugar on. The texture is sort of like bananas mixed with mashed potatoes. Strange experience, but I hear there are multiple kinds of flesh. Hopefully I'll try again someday. The tree alone is totally garden-worthy!

Central Kentucky, United States of America
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the fruit! Living in Kentucky I'm exposed to these fairly regularly. The flavor kinda reminds me of something similar to an incredibly sweet banana custard. I know the uglier the fruit looks the better it will taste lol. I've actually taken seeds and planted them around the more soldier edges of my parents property, I'll have to see if any of them come up this spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast