What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acacia melanoxylon seeds: completely free. Grow your own surfboard

Acacia melanoxylon is a very common street tree in my city. It's considered the "sister species" of Acacia koa, a Hawaiian species prized for it's wood. I understand the thinking is that Acacia melanoxylon (or it's ancestor), made it from Australia to Hawaii, where it diverged slightly. Still, the wood is good enough that it can be used for everything Acacia koa is used for, and that includes surfboards.

Here's a clump of seedpods + seeds from a local tree.

And the seeds, removed from the pods:

Here's a seedling that came up as a weed on a redwood tree. Note what appear to be dimorphic leaves:

The finely divided ones are actually leaves, and the immature ones. They transition into phyllodes as the tree grows.

I guess it's odd that it's "melanoxylon" = "black wood", growing on a redwood.

Anyway, I'll send the seeds on my stamp and assume they are far too tough to be crushed by USPS. It think they need nicking/soaking and maybe also hot water to germinate. I'll look it up.

If more than one person is interested I'll decide by random number generator.

Neat! I wonder if we have some similar species here in MN. It's a huge tree that makes these long brown pea-pod / shriveled sausage looking pods that hold half a dozen or so very hard seeds. They don't have the little "intestines" wrapped around them like in your photo though. I haven't walked over the the neighborhood where the tree grows for some years but we used to pick those pods and free the seeds as kids for something to do.

If you ever want some of those seed (whatever it is?) I can head over there and see if it's making the pods.

Neat! I wonder if we have some similar species here in MN. It's a huge tree that makes these long brown pea-pod / shriveled sausage looking pods that hold half a dozen or so very hard seeds. They don't have the little "intestines" wrapped around them like in your photo though. I haven't walked over the the neighborhood where the tree grows for some years but we used to pick those pods and free the seeds as kids for something to do.

If you ever want some of those seed (whatever it is?) I can head over there and see if it's making the pods.

Your mystery tree is a Catalpa.

Yes I think it is Black Locust, those seed pods are just what I remember.

Those elaiosomes are crazy!! Would love some seeds if you can spare em, Randy.

Wow those are crazy looking seeds for sure!

I grabbed a few more seeds, about 70. So I'll just send some to whomever is interested, probably 20-25 each.

Kevin, I'll send you some. Any idea what the purpose of the brightly colored elaiosome, which contrasts so nicely with the color of the seed? Food for ants? Birds? I just looked it up and apparently it's to provide food for ants to disperse the seeds. I don't know if they bury them or anything. I wonder what our non-native Argentine ants do?

I grabbed a few more seeds, about 70. So I'll just send some to whomever is interested, probably 20-25 each.

Kevin, I'll send you some. Any idea what the purpose of the brightly colored elaiosome, which contrasts so nicely with the color of the seed? Food for ants? Birds? I just looked it up and apparently it's to provide food for ants to disperse the seeds. I don't know if they bury them or anything. I wonder what our non-native Argentine ants do?

Hey Randy,

Let me know if you need my address again. Thanks very much!

And as for elaiosomes, the vast majority are for ants. Different Acacia species, in particular, have evolved symbiotic relationships with ants. Most of them aren't dispersed by them, however, so it's quite interesting to see one with such a highly evolved elaiosome. It's more common for them to provide domatia (as in Bullhorn Acacia).

Last edited:
I find those seeds/seedpods to be very unsettling :0o:

I believe its due to trypophobia.

Interesting. I had never heard that term and had to look it up. If anything, to me it looks like the seeds have little umbilical cords attached to them.

Back