What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuchsia boliviana Alba. Completely free. Edible fruit, small tree in right climate.

My Fuchsia boliviana Alba is blooming nicely. It makes a fruit from each flower, which is full of viable seeds. I've counted roughly 200 in the past, although I think it varies.

The first fruits are about to plump up and ripen. I expect this will be within a week, roughly. I'll clean the seeds of 1-2 fruits and send to 2 people in a regular envelope with minimal padding. I think the seeds are small enough to avoid the USPS rollers. They germinate in about 2 weeks after surface sowing and kept moist/humid. I've germinated seeds, but never raised them to large plants.

The plants can get big (10-15 feet) in a frost-free climate. They prefer a cool summer climate, and I'm not sure how much heat they can tolerate. I've heard mixed opinions. I'm pretty sure a friend grew/bloomed them in the D.C. area, outside in summer, and I'll check.

You can see the fruits towards the center of the flowers--they look like little sausages. The taste is mild, somewhat kiwi-like in my opinion. Squirrels find them tasty as well, but these are safe.

Here are some bigger plants at the SF Botanical Garden. I'm not sure what size they bloom as seedlings, but pretty much any size as rooted cuttings. It's not uncommon for the inflorescence to be longer than a rooted cutting is tall.

Usual rules, seeds to two people, completely free, decided when the fruits get ripe.

1. SubRosa - Thanks Randy, looks like a very interesting plant!

I was visiting a friend's place last weekend (mdv_graupe on Flickr) and he has nice big plants of both color forms (the other is solid red/pink and a little less common). My question was why more people don't grow this plant around here--it's really stunning for a very long period. I think I've seen it in peoples' front yards in San Francisco, but never around here.

I know my boss' wife would love that plant, so greenhouse space over the winter won't be a problem. I'll let you know about summers if I win!

My friend's comment in Silver Spring, MD: "The fuchsia grew really well here."

Just for comparison, this is the red form, growing at the SF Botanical Garden. Notice that the fruits are red as well.

1. SubRosa - Thanks Randy, looks like a very interesting plant!
2. marcus_r - Great plant! I'd love to grow one. Thanks for doing the giveaway!

These are finally getting ripe. I'll harvest 3 fruits tomorrow and clean the seeds. marcus_r I need your address at some point soon.

Wow those are very pretty :) makes me wish i had a yard!

Back