What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia giveaway

The winner of this giveaway will receive portions of Utricularia bifida, Utricularia chrysantha, Utricularia biloba, and Utricularia praelonga. I will pick a winner next Monday. Shipping will be on me. Instead of using a random number generator, I will be picking the winner based on their answer to this question: What is your favorite species of Utricularia, and why?

If interested, please add your name and answer to the list below.

1. Zath - Favorite is probably U. calycifida, because it includes the Lovecraftian cultivars, whose mythos I am a huge fan of. Learning about them from B. Rice's articles helped stoke the fires of my CP obsession in the first place.

1. Zath - Favorite is probably U. calycifida, because it includes the Lovecraftian cultivars, whose mythos I am a huge fan of. Learning about them from B. Rice's articles helped stoke the fires of my CP obsession in the first place.
2. Utricularia Delphinioides - although usually purple, it can turn a deep blue that I believe is unique to Utricularia (biloba comes fairly close though I believe), and quite simply, it's beautiful

Last edited:
2. SFLguy - Utricularia Delphinioides - although usually purple, it can turn a deep blue that I believe is unique to Utricularia (biloba comes fairly close though I believe), and quite simply, it's beautiful
3. charlie - My favorite is U. purpurea I love seeing pictures of them in mass flower. That's why I "need" biloba

2. SFLguy - Utricularia Delphinioides - although usually purple, it can turn a deep blue that I believe is unique to Utricularia (biloba comes fairly close though I believe), and quite simply, it's beautiful
3. charlie - My favorite is U. purpurea I love seeing pictures of them in mass flower. That's why I "need" biloba
4. PitcherPlantr - My favorite would probably be Utricularia westonii because of the brilliant red bladders it produces just above the surface. It is quite a unique species.

4. PitcherPlantr - My favorite would probably be Utricularia westonii because of the brilliant red bladders it produces just above the surface. It is quite a unique species.
5. U. regia, as of currently. The multiple colors and unique split petal shape are gorgeous; second might be U. volubilis, for the rich color and shape.

5. rjhaway - My favorite would probably be U. quelchii because I like the bright red flowers.

5. rjhaway - My favorite would probably be U. quelchii because I like the bright red flowers.
6. ErrorEN - U. arnhemica. Why? Because above ground traps! :-D

6. ErrorEN - U. arnhemica. Why? Because above ground traps! :-D
7. Clue - U. multifida, not just because of the amazing in situ shots of fields of flowers, but because Polypompholyx is just so much fun to say.

6. ErrorEN - U. arnhemica. Why? Because above ground traps!
7. patrickntd - U. foliosa. Although its flower is not attractive, I like its well organised and dense traps arrangement as well as its vigorous growth.

5. hcarlton - U. regia, as of currently. The multiple colors and unique split petal shape are gorgeous; second might be U. volubilis, for the rich color and shape.
6. rjhaway - My favorite would probably be U. quelchii because I like the bright red flowers.
7. ErrorEN - U. arnhemica. Why? Because above ground traps!
8. Clue - U. multifida, not just because of the amazing in situ shots of fields of flowers, but because Polypompholyx is just so much fun to say.
9. patrickntd - U. foliosa. Although its flower is not attractive, I like its well organised and dense traps arrangement as well as its vigorous growth.
10. gnathaniel -- U. pubescens mostly because I love the growth habit, which reminds me of the ripples from raindrops hitting a pond. Hard to choose a favorite, though, Utricularia includes so many beautiful plants I'd like to grow someday.

I tried to fix the list to put hcarlton and Clue back into the order, hope my meddling is alright with everyone. Thanks for the great giveaway, Tanukimo!

Last edited:
Having recently won a giveaway I won't enter, but this is one fantastic giveaway! Good luck everyone!

Also ErrorEN, you just added another plant to my want list...

5. hcarlton - U. regia, as of currently. The multiple colors and unique split petal shape are gorgeous; second might be U. volubilis, for the rich color and shape.
6. rjhaway - My favorite would probably be U. quelchii because I like the bright red flowers.
8. Clue - U. multifida, not just because of the amazing in situ shots of fields of flowers, but because Polypompholyx is just so much fun to say.
9. patrickntd - U. foliosa. Although its flower is not attractive, I like its well organised and dense traps arrangement as well as its vigorous growth.
10. gnathaniel -- U. pubescens mostly because I love the growth habit, which reminds me of the ripples from raindrops hitting a pond. Hard to choose a favorite, though, Utricularia includes so many beautiful plants I'd like to grow someday.
11. nikki630 -- U. sandersonii because ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYM6snQ4HUE

:-)) You'll have one heck of a time finding one though! I've only seen them available overseas, and I hear that they're annuals based on the CPUK chatter. It's apparently hard to convince them to drop seed too.

11. nikki630 -- U. sandersonii because ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYM6snQ4HUE
12. KATastrophe - its kind of a tie between Utricularia cornuta and its beautiful yellow flower and U. Menziesii and its really unique flower shape and beautiful color and how it grows is water but doesn't actually live submerged in it...its too hard to choose! I wish utrics were easier to find where i am.

12. KATastrophe - its kind of a tie between Utricularia cornuta and its beautiful yellow flower and U. Menziesii and its really unique flower shape and beautiful color and how it grows is water but doesn't actually live submerged in it...its too hard to choose! I wish utrics were easier to find where i am.
13. chch - U. pubescens. I like the small circular leaves similar to Nasturtium. The petiole is connected to the center rather than the edge of the leaf. The leaves can be a bit slimy.

Last edited:
U. arnhemica and westonii are interesting but I haven't grown them. Seems like very few people grow them if anyone. I've mentioned Utricularia, generally described them, to a few people that don't know of other carnivorous plants besides Dionaea. However, they often become less interested when they learn the traps are underground.

Fantastic giveaway Tanukimo!
Good luck to everyone!
Also chch, if you like U. pubescens for the peltate leaves, you'll love U. nelumbifolia! :D

Glad to see so much interest in this genus. And the winner is patrickntd! It was kind of hard to pick the winner, though, since there were a lot of good reasons given. I was biased towards answers which described parts of the plant other than the flowers since I think there is much more than these plants than just flowers, but that is just my opinion. Hopefully one day all of these plants make their way into cultivation.

Thanks for participating everyone!

Back