What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pawpaw Seeds

A wonderful member of this website recently sent me some delicious Pawpaw fruit! I would like to give back, and offer up the pawpaw seeds! I am not looking to trade, these are free. I have about 60 seeds to give away, I will break them up into packs of 10 seeds for the first 6 people who claim them.

To get the seeds, just reply to this thread and send me a PM to work out the details (you'll have to send a self-addressed-stamped-envelope).
Note: The scientific name is Asimina triloba, location data: Laurel Co. Ky, the seeds are being kept moist, as is proper care for Pawpaw seeds. This give-a-way ends on 10/11/15 (Sunday). First come, first serve - this is not a contest or drawing.

PM and post up now! :D

Last edited:
1. Eric- Thanks so much for the giveaway! I learned about pawpaw last year, and was looking for some fruits this year but did not find any. Thanks again

1. Eric- Thanks so much for the giveaway! I learned about pawpaw last year, and was looking for some fruits this year but did not find any. Thanks again
2. theplantman -- AWESOME and fortuitous! I was about to go after some on Ebay because I'm looking to establish the Zebra Swallowtail at my place (wife loves bugs, raises butterflies). Thank you very much!! We'll be in touch! As an aside, the seeds are gigantic and it'll almost certainly take bubblopes to ship them successfully.

Thanks so much for the giveaway! I learned about pawpaw last year, and was looking for some fruits this year but did not find any. Thanks again
Soon enough you'll have fruit of your own!

AWESOME and fortuitous! I was about to go after some on Ebay because I'm looking to establish the Zebra Swallowtail at my place (wife loves bugs, raises butterflies). Thank you very much!! We'll be in touch! As an aside, the seeds are gigantic and it'll almost certainly take bubblopes to ship them successfully.
Super cool about the Swallowtails! We should talk some time. I used to work for a Butter Fly farm in Miami, FL. Also, I used to have my own educational bug show business (with live inverts) and just a couple months ago I had a summer job working for a traveling Butterfly Conservatory. I've been keeping and breeding inverts for more than 15 years and I still have a few beetles and exotic roaches that I keep as pets and/or feeders.
As for shipping the seeds, I sent several packs out 2 years ago, they can be packed in normal envelopes, however bubble envelopes are great. It's all up to the SASE sender, and that topic was something I was going to cover in PM.

Here is the list as it stands:
1. Eric
2. theplantman

Four packs remain! Post up and PM me to claim them! :D

Last edited:
1. Eric
2. theplantman
3. gnathaniel-- Thanks! One of my favorite native trees.

Just three packs remain, and it's only been one day, I doubt any seeds will be left by Sunday! lol

1. Eric
2. theplantman
3. gnathaniel

Oh look, gnathaniel and theplantman are both in Athens, GA! Can you name a band that originated there? :D

Last edited:
Just three packs remain, and it's only been one day, I doubt any seeds will be left by Sunday! lol
If you want some seeds, post up!

1. Eric
2. theplantman
3. gnathaniel

Oh look, gnathaniel and theplantman are both in Athens, GA! Can you name a band that originated there? :D

There're a bazillion, but the one everyone probably thinks of is R.E.M. My boss knows folks who do Michael Stipe's landscaping, so naturally we have some banana divisions from his yard =D.

Last edited:
I just looked it up, and there are actually a lot of bands that came from Athens! The one I was thinking of became famous before R.E.M. however they did work with R.E.M. . . .

Michael Stipe's banana divisions? Does he have something to do with bananas, or have a unique collection or something? lol

Last edited:
1. Eric
2. theplantman
3. gnathaniel
4. JDW

If they're still available.

If the slots are open, they are still available! :D
PMed you back!

Two more seed packs up for grabs. Closes Sunday night!
1. Eric
2. theplantman
3. gnathaniel
4. JDW

Last edited:
1. Eric
2. theplantman
3. gnathaniel
4. JDW
5. iProcreate

iProcreate,
You've got to Post up and PM me to be on the list. I'm taking you off until you get all the angles covered. ;)
Please try again!

1. Eric
2. theplantman
3. gnathaniel
4. JDW

And that's it, this give away is closed! I waited till Monday, for anybody else, but now we have our winners: Eric, theplantman, gnathaniel, and JDW. The seeds will be split up between the four of you. :D

I received one envelope already, and that will go out on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm still waiting on the other three.

:clap:

There is evidence that the pawpaw depended on the mastodon and giant sloth for dispersal.
Pawpaw seed have been found in fossilized mastodon scat.

fun fact

Last edited:
:clap:

There is evidence that the pawpaw depended on the mastodon and giant sloth for dispersal.
Pawpaw seed have been found in fossilized mastodon scat.

fun fact
There is a suite of fruits with similar characteristics--essentially a large, fleshy fruit with large, hard seeds (Annonaceae throughout N. America and the tropics, honeylocust, passifloras, pineapples, papaya, avocado, cacao, osage orange etc.) that are adapted in a similar manner. We also find things like the Devil's Claw, which rather than be dispersed via eating likely hitchhiked on such fauna. I find this absolutely fascinating, and for one heck of a good read try this one The Ghosts Of Evolution: Nonsensical Fruit, Missing Partners, and Other Ecological Anachronisms: Connie Barlow: 9780465005529: Amazon.com: Books

And for free:
http://www.thegreatstory.org/anachronistic_fruits/anachronistic_fruits_for_printing.pdf
The Trees That Miss The Mammoths - American ForestsAmerican Forests
Forgotten fruits: Or, megafaunal dispersal syndrome and the case of the missing herbivores | Scientopia's Guest Blog

Last edited:
For the 4 members who claimed seeds . . . I've only received 2 SASE. If you haven't sent the SASE, do it now!
For the 2 members who have sent me an SASE, I got them and I will send this weekend.
I'm sending everyone a PM too.
Talk to you then!

theplantman, clean out your inbox so I can send you a message! :D

Back