What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes and Drosera for new members, Begonia for anyone.

Hey everyone. Its been a few months since I have been active here. Its time for me to give back to the community! I will be doing two giveaways.

The first one is for people that are NEW to the hobby, seasoned veterans probably dont want these plants anyway heh. Requirements are that you have 0-20 plants. I will include a rooted cutting of Nepenthes x ventrata (no pitchers but has been rooted for a few months so I expect it will put some out soon under the right conditions), and a few good sized Drosera capensis. I know these are 2 of the most common plants of the species, I just hope someone wants them.

My second giveaway is for a bullseye begonia, aka Begonia conchifolia. The internet tells me that it has a red spot in the middle, but the spot on mine is white. It could get red with higher light?, but it grows really well in pretty much any room of my house. This thing grows like crazy. Ive had it for 4-5 years and I have easily gotten 15-20 cuttings from it that EASILY root in water. It roots from stem cuttings and even leaves. It produces cute little white flowers. I have tons of rooted cuttings and will pick 2-3 winners depending on how many I have ATM

Pics, because who doesnt like pictures.

Sundews:
sPyXvos.jpg

Neps:
ndSfPdn.jpg

Begonias:
FibWCsr.jpg

I will use random number generator in about a week, standard giveaway procedure... list your name as 1., 2., 3., etc

Edit: Winner pays shipping, $6.

Beginner Carnivores

Begonia

Last edited:
Beginner Carnivores
1. Europa_13 Thanks! I have under 20 plants and am also a beginner to this forum (though I have used it for advice without signing up for the last year)

1. Europa_13 Thanks! I have under 20 plants and am also a beginner to this forum (though I have used it for advice without signing up for the last year)
2. HeliamWalnut thanks! I have little plants, mostly neps, but almost nothing else. Hello, europa, aren't you on FTC?

HeliamWalnut, yes I am! I'm fascinated with the neps but have been too timid to try growing them. You have my admiration, as it seems you started with them!

Beginner Carnivores
2. HeliamWalnut thanks! I have little plants, mostly neps, but almost nothing else. Hello, europa, aren't you on FTC?

Begonia
1. catrus TY! Wish I was a beginner :)

Beginner Carnivores
3.Plant#1 Thank you for your generosity! I happen to already have a D. Capenis so if I happen to win, you can give those away to someone else who doesn't already have some.

Begonia
1. catrus TY! Wish I was a beginner

Beginner Carnivores
3.Plant#1 Thank you for your generosity! I happen to already have a D. Capenis so if I happen to win, you can give those away to someone else who doesn't already have some.
4. Flora. I have had a few outdoor plants for a year, just starting to grow and learn about neps and sundews. I tried once before but i didn't know the proper care, but i do now and i'm building myself a mini greenhouse! I really like all the awesome advice and tips on the forum. Thank you!!

Begonia
1. catrus TY! Wish I was a beginner
2.Flora, my first love was houseplants. :)

Last chance guys. Ill pick winners today in the early evening.

And the winners are:

Beginner plants:
1. Europa_13

Begonias:
Catrus, and flora, Both of yall won!

Congrats to all the winners!
Please send $6 via Paypal as a gift to nrobinson@gmail.com and PM me with your shipping address.

Yay! Thank you! So much! I'll Send you a PM. :)

Catrus,

Your PM box is full. Please send money shipping details sometime this week. I will be leaving the state for work on Sunday so I would like to get them out this week or you'll have to wait till mid November

Thanks AnIsleAteHer for the healthy plants! Here's a picture of the Nepenthes x ventrata (correct nomenclature?) freshly settled in a new pot. It's in a clear orchid pot which is tucked inside a metal planter. The planter has about 2 inches of river rock lining the bottom to raise the pot up (I have an over-waterer in the house who waters my plants when I'm away). I lined the bottom inch of the clear pot with LFS and then filled in with the pre-rinsed mix from our local carnivorous plant nursery which has equal parts sphagnum peat moss, perlite, fir bark and sand (not play sand).
I topped the pot with just under an inch of silica sand (attempting) to discourage fungus gnats from laying eggs in the soil. I plan on keeping the plant indoors because it's already cold outside at 50F (74% humidity at 1:45pm, can you tell I live in rainy Washington state, USA?! lol).
I'll post a picture of the D. capensis in its new pot later, I'm a little behind on picture taking. ;) You were right though, less than a week and it's got its dew back!
Advice, please: would upstairs or downstairs be better for the Nepenthes x ventrata? Temps/RH below.
Upstairs day 65-78F, 40-55 RH
Upstairs night 50-65F, 55-60 RH
Downstairs day 50-65F, 55-60 RH
Downstairs night 40-55, 58-68 RH

fc50eae6f4ac075521a846f3e0b4d875.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good =]

It would do fine in either location IMO. It might grow a little faster with higher temps so upstairs could be better. Its original conditions were 55-70 temps with about 60-70 RH

Back