Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade/Giveaway Guidelines update! ~please read

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so this change is intended to prevent potential misunderstandings, correct? I will grant you that potential misunderstandings are a real problem. But they pale in comparison to actual misunderstandings, wouldn't you agree? So using an actual example of a real misunderstanding, we currently have a giveaway in progress in which the donor required a specific # of posts to qualify. One person with approximately 1/10 the required number signed up. What are you going to do to address this actual misunderstanding? It certainly represents a bigger problem than a misunderstanding that hasn't happened. Of course you're not going to do anything, and rightly so. It's the job of the person doing the giveaway to police such things. Why isn't it my job to police those who misunderstand my qualifications? How does someone misunderstanding my vague requirements negatively affect you or the community any more than someone misunderstanding crystal clear qualifications? The burden should be on the donor in both cases. It seems clear that you're attempting to solve a problem that isn't yours to solve.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you referencing the same post I did above? I believe those with not enough posts posted in the thread before I asked him to specify his requirements and he updated the post with the post requirement. The two posts above yours are what we would expect people to do, for plants they care where they go and why the sub categories were made. Will some not follow the requirements? Yeah I bet so... But clear guidelines should help get the best list for you to choose from. If you wish to not post guidelines and pick who gets your plant from a complete list of any members then post under give away. When posting in giveaway for active users you need to give some type of clear guidelines starting point.
    Hope that helps.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Are you referencing the same post I did above? I believe those with not enough posts posted in the thread before I asked him to specify his requirements and he updated the post with the post requirement. The two posts above yours are what we would expect people to do, for plants they care where they go and why the sub categories were made. Will some not follow the requirements? Yeah I bet so... But clear guidelines should help get the best list for you to choose from. If you wish to not post guidelines and pick who gets your plant from a complete list of any members then post under give away. When posting in giveaway for active users you need to give some type of clear guidelines starting point.
    Hope that helps.
    Andrew
    Although the use of the method of screening used by Paul and Judy is not something I would argue against, I do find it somewhat disturbing that it is codified as forum policy. Incentivizing the secrecy inherent in the method, and disincentivizing open honesty doesn't strike me as being in the good of the community.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    So using an actual example of a real misunderstanding, we currently have a giveaway in progress in which the donor required a specific # of posts to qualify. One person with approximately 1/10 the required number signed up.
    If someone attempts to sign up for a giveaway of mine, and they clearly do not understand (or didn't read) the conditions, they aren't going to get the material I am gifting. Immediate disqualification. Also, folks who don't understand how to copy and paste a numbered list are also immediately disqualified!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not entirely sure where I stand with this issue. On one hand as has been stated it is my stuff which I worked and spent my time to care for and propagate. I want to reserve the right to determine who is eligible to receive whatever I choose to give away.

I agree that simply saying an "active" member is a bit vague but then again my personal definition of such can be the same. I don't enjoy enforcing a minimum post count as it is a poor reflection of one's actual participation level. Anyone with a keyboard and Internet connection can make pointless posts that do nothing to contribute to the community. This has been shown here as well as several other forums I've been an active member of.

I don't think that my post count is anything special for 2 years on the forum and would in fact disqualify me from participating in some giveaways. As a new grower it is sometimes difficult to contribute positively to the forum. There's always asking questions but it is encouraged to learn what you can first. Apart from that without experience it's difficult to contribute to many of the threads here. I don't believe that that should instantly disqualify some people from entering though. A new grower to me should qualify for certain giveaways regardless of their ability to participate. If an effort is being made I would still consider them.

Now leaving out post count we are left with very little to use as a guideline for who we choose to qualify and disqualify. Join date is another number made available to us but suffers all the same problems as post count. Apart from that I could keep a public list of names that don't qualify for my giveaways. That is a bit crude though don't you think?

In the end it will always be my discretion that determines who qualifies, whether silently or not. I like to leave vague guidelines to allow those who wish to enter to stop and think for themselves whether they really qualify or not. This saves me some work down the line. I don't know every name on the forum and it can be a task to glance through everyone's posts.

This new rule prevents me from doing so though. I'm forced to either supply a post count minimum thus excluding possible valid entries or to simply open the giveaway to everyone and quietly throw names in the trash.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Although the use of the method of screening used by Paul and Judy is not something I would argue against, I do find it somewhat disturbing that it is codified as forum policy. Incentivizing the secrecy inherent in the method, and disincentivizing open honesty doesn't strike me as being in the good of the community.
    Well John, I would like to point out that its not a secret anymore! -

It is my opinion, after several years of participation in this particular quadrant of the CP hobbyists community - that this is an un-tameable animal, and in response to that perception I have instituted protocols to help "manage the unmanageable". While I agree that "disincentivizing open honestly" isn't necessarily good for the community, Sometimes the least disruptive, most constructive thing is to nod and smile and simply carry on with what you were doing, even if transparency has to take a back seat.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Greg the option for just a "give away" with no requirements is still absolutely available! There are plenty of people that just want to give stuff away to who ever, I think I've even seen Paul use the normal give away for something and the one for active users on other goodies.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Also, folks who don't understand how to copy and paste a numbered list are also immediately disqualified!
    Oh how that irks me when people do it

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast