Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Trade/Giveaway Guidelines update! ~please read

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Greg the option for just a "give away" with no requirements is still absolutely available! There are plenty of people that just want to give stuff away to who ever, I think I've even seen Paul use the normal give away for something and the one for active users on other goodies.
    Andrew
    I suppose. I was excited when the active giveaway option was added. Unfortunately given the new rule and my opinions on who should qualify as an active member I suppose it is practically useless to me. There are very few things that allow us to set guidelines besides post count and opinion. I was under the impression that the majority of people who endeavor to care for these plants are intelligent enough to understand what active means as long as they read it. Apparently people were having an issue with this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    If someone attempts to sign up for a giveaway of mine, and they clearly do not understand (or didn't read) the conditions, they aren't going to get the material I am gifting. Immediate disqualification. Also, folks who don't understand how to copy and paste a numbered list are also immediately disqualified!
    Like when I'm managing and someone submits an application for employment and it contains misspellings....
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rule #10 was super easy to understand, clear, and necessary. Good update!

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Greg, we thought it would be fairly self explanatory... But see the post I mentioned earlier in this thread. Nepenthes dubia x jamban Rooted Cutting He did not post any requirements and just relied on "for active users" to know if they qualify, these are the first 5 to sign up for it.

First post: joined august 2015 and has 34 posts ~7 in give aways
    second post: has been here since Nov 2014 and has 42 posts ~13 in give aways
    third post: J.Gennaro joined May 2015 and has 7 posts ~3 in give aways
    fourth post: viking, joined October 2015 and has 5 posts ~4 in give aways
    fifth post: plant#1 Joined April 2015 and has 29 posts ~9 in give away

Now, I only glanced so these may not be exactly accurate, and are the other posts amazingly informational and participatory? I don't know, I didn't look. But I don't think if those were MY stats, I would exactly consider myself as an "active member". And that's why we felt the need to add on that people wishing to use "Give Away For Active Members" should specify some type of requirement.

Remember, that YOU get to pick the requirements, we wanted to leave that up to you, we did discuss making up our own "what makes you "active", but deiced not to. Since as some point out, they may not want to go by post count, or time on the forum. You get to put in your own requirements, for your giveaway so make it whatever you think makes the eligible for your giveaway. Or post it as a normal Give Away and let it go to whoever! =)

Andrew
    Last edited by adnedarn; 10-26-2015 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Missed how many trade posts J.Gennaro had
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I will say, that probably my favorite requirements for a giveaway EVER were those used by Ron (RL7836) I sometimes wondered why more were not using something similar even way back then....

He used guidelines for a long time, and I believe they changed from plant to plant... I saw all the way back to 2010, but here is an example of his more resent requirements... Which are clear, and a great separator of the "gimmies" and others without using post counts or something like that (which as has been stated, really doesn't always mean much).

Qualifications for giveaway:
    - experience successfully growing section Iperua/Orchidioides (at this stage, it doesn't seem to make sense for these to go to people still figuring out how to grow).
    - willingness to periodically share divisions (freely or via fleabay, etc)
    - willingness to periodically share pics & experiences (what works, what doesn't, etc)
    - reimburse postage (both should fit in small flat rate box ~$6 iirc)
    - attribution - basically share where you got them if asked & don't take credit for the cross
    - USA only
    (the above was linked from Ron's post here

Maybe something like this fits you better Greg, if you would like to impose restrictions without using the things others tend to.

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    ...we did discuss making up our own "what makes you "active", but deiced not to. Since as some point out, they may not want to go by post count, or time on the forum. You get to put in your own requirements, for your giveaway so make it whatever you think makes the eligible for your giveaway.

Andrew
    In my experience: if someone participates enough that I have come to know them on a first name basis (or see them often enough to feel compelled to greet them and/or participate in their discussions), and I know at least something about their specific interests and what their current "CP status"* is, I regard that person as an "active member"! Numbers don't tell the whole story. Learn who I am and what I'm about if you want me to offer goodies!

*as regards their horticultural successes/failures, specific projects at the moment, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    In my experience: if someone participates enough that I have come to know them on a first name basis (or see them often enough to feel compelled to greet them and/or participate in their discussions), and I know at least something about their specific interests and what their current "CP status"* is, I regard that person as an "active member"! Numbers don't tell the whole story. Learn who I am and what I'm about if you want me to offer goodies!

*as regards their horticultural successes/failures, specific projects at the moment, etc.
    Some people on other forums, they may have more than 50 posts, yet more than half are in the giveaways/ SASE section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done some research into my post. I will admit anyone who had already entered at the time of my change. From now on, anyone with less that 50 posts will not be considered. I will also say, of the posts for the give away, a few stand out as potential second accounts, I have a method of dealing with this: they get a half chance roll in my calculator (what I'm using to choose). While another member may have a 1/6 chance, these will get a 1/12. It should be pretty obvious when I say "for active members", but I guess this wasn't the case...

I will never choose directly who and who doesn't get to enter my give aways, however I can state with great confidence that one member in specific will never be receiving plants from me. (you know who you are)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast