What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade/Giveaway Guidelines update! ~please read

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say, that probably my favorite requirements for a giveaway EVER were those used by Ron (RL7836) I sometimes wondered why more were not using something similar even way back then....

He used guidelines for a long time, and I believe they changed from plant to plant... I saw all the way back to 2010, but here is an example of his more resent requirements... Which are clear, and a great separator of the "gimmies" and others without using post counts or something like that (which as has been stated, really doesn't always mean much).

Qualifications for giveaway:
- experience successfully growing section Iperua/Orchidioides (at this stage, it doesn't seem to make sense for these to go to people still figuring out how to grow).
- willingness to periodically share divisions (freely or via fleabay, etc)
- willingness to periodically share pics & experiences (what works, what doesn't, etc)
- reimburse postage (both should fit in small flat rate box ~$6 iirc)
- attribution - basically share where you got them if asked & don't take credit for the cross
- USA only

(the above was linked from Ron's post here

Maybe something like this fits you better Greg, if you would like to impose restrictions without using the things others tend to.

Andrew

...we did discuss making up our own "what makes you "active", but deiced not to. Since as some point out, they may not want to go by post count, or time on the forum. You get to put in your own requirements, for your giveaway so make it whatever you think makes the eligible for your giveaway.

Andrew

In my experience: if someone participates enough that I have come to know them on a first name basis (or see them often enough to feel compelled to greet them and/or participate in their discussions), and I know at least something about their specific interests and what their current "CP status"* is, I regard that person as an "active member"! Numbers don't tell the whole story. Learn who I am and what I'm about if you want me to offer goodies!

*as regards their horticultural successes/failures, specific projects at the moment, etc.

In my experience: if someone participates enough that I have come to know them on a first name basis (or see them often enough to feel compelled to greet them and/or participate in their discussions), and I know at least something about their specific interests and what their current "CP status"* is, I regard that person as an "active member"! Numbers don't tell the whole story. Learn who I am and what I'm about if you want me to offer goodies!

*as regards their horticultural successes/failures, specific projects at the moment, etc.
Some people on other forums, they may have more than 50 posts, yet more than half are in the giveaways/ SASE section.

I have done some research into my post. I will admit anyone who had already entered at the time of my change. From now on, anyone with less that 50 posts will not be considered. I will also say, of the posts for the give away, a few stand out as potential second accounts, I have a method of dealing with this: they get a half chance roll in my calculator (what I'm using to choose). While another member may have a 1/6 chance, these will get a 1/12. It should be pretty obvious when I say "for active members", but I guess this wasn't the case...

I will never choose directly who and who doesn't get to enter my give aways, however I can state with great confidence that one member in specific will never be receiving plants from me. (you know who you are)

I will also say, of the posts for the give away, a few stand out as potential second accounts

If you are going to make such a statement, you had better be ready to provide proof. Otherwise you are just making (more) assumptions (something you love to do, it seems).

I can state with great confidence that one member in specific will never be receiving plants from me. (you know who you are)

:ohno: :cry: :awesome: :-OI would imagine that "one member in specific" would be more than happy to reciprocate! (I have no patience for passive-aggressive personalities.)

I will also say, of the posts for the give away, a few stand out as potential second accounts, I have a method of dealing with this: they get a half chance roll in my calculator (what I'm using to choose).

If you've any evidence for that, admin / moderators should be alerted. That's something for them to decide, not the users. If you're wrong, you're just being unfair for no reason.

If I'm that Member, by any chance, I'm hosting a Sarracenia Seeds Giveaway later today.....

and let the drama begin!

I keep a pretty decent set of tools running on this forum to catch people with multiple accounts. That said, nothing I know of is fool proof so it is possible. Send over (pm me) who you think it is, and I'll look into further than the automated tools do.

I messaged you Andrew,
and as for you Whimgrinder, I wasn't referring to you..but you're coming close- the barrage of immature comments isn't helping.

Statement about multiple accounts retracted* Adnedarn and I cleared it up.

Greg, we thought it would be fairly self explanatory... But see the post I mentioned earlier in this thread. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/carnivorous-plant-trading-post/139945-nepenthes-dubia-jamban-rooted-cutting.html He did not post any requirements and just relied on "for active users" to know if they qualify, these are the first 5 to sign up for it.

First post: joined august 2015 and has 34 posts ~7 in give aways
second post: has been here since Nov 2014 and has 42 posts ~13 in give aways
third post: J.Gennaro joined May 2015 and has 7 posts ~ in give aways
fourth post: viking, joined October 2015 and has 5 posts ~4 in give aways
fifth post: plant#1 Joined April 2015 and has 29 posts ~9 in give away

Now, I only glanced so these may not be exactly accurate, and are the other posts amazingly informational and participatory? I don't know, I didn't look. But I don't think if those were MY stats, I would exactly consider myself as an "active member". And that's why we felt the need to add on that people wishing to use "Give Away For Active Members" should specify some type of requirement.

Remember, that YOU get to pick the requirements, we wanted to leave that up to you, we did discuss making up our own "what makes you "active", but deiced not to. Since as some point out, they may not want to go by post count, or time on the forum. You get to put in your own requirements, for your giveaway so make it whatever you think makes the eligible for your giveaway. Or post it as a normal Give Away and let it go to whoever! =)

Andrew

Is it normal practice on this forum to list members and then put them on blast like above? I was considering switching over and making this my main forum I post on, and planned on doing a giveaway myself. As for the number of posts, it is worth mentioning that it's hard to have a high post count when this forum isn't nearly as active as it was in the past (or so I've heard), but the reasons why that is the case are becoming apparent.

Last edited:
Is it normal practice on this forum to list members and then put them on blast like above? I was considering switching over and making this my main forum I post on, and planned on doing a giveaway myself. As for the number of posts, it is worth mentioning that it's hard to have a high post count when this forum isn't nearly as active as it was in the past (or so I've heard), but the reasons why that is the case are becoming apparent.

Not normal, no, but it's info that anyone can see. He was simply making a point, using hard data. It was nothing against you or those users, believe me. Nobody was "calling you out", but for the purposes of a giveaway titled "For Active Users", you hardly qualify. That's not a judgement against your character, just an objective evaluation. The people here appreciate it when their plants go to growers who stick around and contribute, rather than people with their hands out wanting to flip free plants on Ebay or whatever. It's a....touchy subject, lol.

Zath got it right. I will also note that I said in my post

Now, I only glanced so these may not be exactly accurate, and are the other posts amazingly informational and participatory? I don't know, I didn't look. But I don't think if those were MY stats, I would exactly consider myself as an "active member". And that's why we felt the need to add on that people wishing to use "Give Away For Active Members" should specify some type of requirement.

Absolutely nothing against you or the others I mentioned, but it made a good point as to why the new rule was put into place. So people know exactly if they are eligible to join that giveaway. You seem to have pointed out why you think you were eligible to participate in it, but since the OP didn't write out his requirements we just didn't know if you did or not.
Thanks,
Andrew

null

Last edited:

Is it your normal practice upon meeting a group of people for the first time to ask them for free stuff before at least saying hello and introducing yourself?

Subrosa, the more I read from you, the more I get the feeling you are very difficult to get along with. Most of what I've seen from you in the past week has been unnecessarily negative and/or rude. Could you tone it down a little? I suppose, considering my post count, I should count myself lucky I've been able to avoid your vitriol, but I feel really bad for the others who've been on the receiving end. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back