Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade/Giveaway Guidelines update! ~please read

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Trade/Giveaway Guidelines update! ~please read

Hello everyone! We have decided to update the trade/giveaway guidelines... Please look them over and refresh yourself and take special note of the changes to rule #4 and the addition of rule #10. TRADE/GIVEAWAY GUIDELINES
    Thanks!
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first time #10 is even mentioned to me by administration will be the end of my giving anything away to the community at large. Whose stuff am I giving away?
    Last edited by SubRosa; 10-26-2015 at 02:18 AM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why is that? We've given you all the tools you need to give your stuff away to whatever group of people you want to. If you want a specific post count, require they've not received any other giveaways is so many days, require they've done their own giveaways... whatever. Heck, you can even disallow specific people from participating in your threads as a whole (giveaways and other posts you start on this forum) by simply adding them to your ignore list (Click on their name, click view profile, click add to ignore list). All we are asking is that you are specific so people know if they qualify or not, if they don't meet the criteria you've put in place- then they don't qualify.
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Why is that? We've given you all the tools you need to give your stuff away to whatever group of people you want to. If you want a specific post count, require they've not received any other giveaways is so many days, require they've done their own giveaways... whatever. Heck, you can even disallow specific people from participating in your threads as a whole (giveaways and other posts you start on this forum) by simply adding them to your ignore list (Click on their name, click view profile, click add to ignore list). All we are asking is that you are specific so people know if they qualify or not, if they don't meet the criteria you've put in place- then they don't qualify.
    This definitely merits further discussion, but before I engage in it a stipulation is required Andrew. Are you willing to stipulate that this new rule is in direct response to my requirement of not being able to think of a reason to not give my stuff to people before considering them qualified? It's always good for all parties in such matters to know where they stand, and for each party to know the other is aware of both positions.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the issue is that when people post using "Giveaway for Active Members" they arent using stipulations so lurkers/new members are entering the giveaway. At least thats how I see it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, the rule was not in direct response to your statement. With the creation of the "give away for active members" it has become a nessasary statement since some have used that, and not given any requirements.
    Like this one Nepenthes dubia x jamban Rooted Cutting
    I was thinking about your statement from the chat box this am as I've been working and I think we might be on two different trains. These limitations of participation don't mean you have to pick the recipient from the list that is formed. Once the entry time ends you are free to pick who gets the giveaway using whatever method you want. The restrictions of participating are to help you get a list of only who you want to consider, which is why it should be clear on who can sign up.

Does that clear up our intentions and fit what you're looking for?
    Thanks!
    Andrew
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to take a moment to explain how I approach giveaways now, after several years of dealing with frustration and discouragement in this realm. I'm going to be very blunt for the sake of transparency and honesty. If you are worried that I'm going to offend your tender sensibilities, then you'd best stop reading right now. I have no intention of justifying my choices.... Just saying.

I like the fact that there is now a For Active Members Only listing option, since I don't care to give away plant material I have worked hard to produce and care for to someone whose only participation here is to sign up for free stuff. Those people are automatically excluded when I do a drawing for plants/seeds. I regard those people as "gimme gimmes", since the majority of this contingent contributes nothing to our community. If I think someone is incapable of caring for a valued plant, they are ineligible. If I just don't like someone - they aren't going to get the plant/seeds/whatever. I get to decide who I think is worth investing in.

That said, I will gladly narrow down the parameters that define who qualifies if that is deemed meaningful in the eyes of admin. Anyone who qualifies can sign up, but by no stretch of the imagination does that mean all who sign up are actually in the running for the gift. As John would no doubt point out - it's my plant material to give away - I get to make choices about how I want to parse the list of potential recipients in ways I find meaningful to me.

Perhaps - as I've chosen to do - John could simply plug in to a giveaway formula admin approves of, and continue making the choices he's comfortable with in silence :-)

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since Whim has gone public with his approach I feel that it is only fair that I join him. I too have been using his method for my own give aways. No fuss, no hurt feelings, those folks are just quietly excluded in private.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast