Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 mimosa pudica seeds "The Sensitive Plant"

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive never heard the hot water method, thats really interesting.

Ive tried germinating these plants for many years and only been successful once..
    (This entails sowing close to 10 seeds in a pot, giving up after a year, then casting the pot under
    My pine tree for the next 3 years, only to later discover said pot began to germinate after 3 years sitting!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The outer seed coat is very hard that is why you can put them in very hot almost boiling water. These directions were right in the package of seeds that I purchased. So that's what I did. I have also heard you can nick a corner of the seed coat to allow moisture to penetrate the seed. Keeping them on a seedling heat mat or heating pad helps too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have like 100 mimosa seeds i have no issue germinating them the only issue i seem to have is keeping them alive after a few months/years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, I germinated some from seeds, grew for about a year or two, then they just died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand, they're annuals. I don't think you'd have much luck keeping them alive for more than 2 years, with evident decline during the second year.

This leads me to a question though. Are the plants reliably self-fertile, or do you need multiple plants in order to get seed?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Okay since there are only 3 people you are all winners. 10 seeds each..when I planted 30 I got 25 plants. So germination rate is good. Send me a SASE. PM me for my address.
    Thanks so much! Will pm right now!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    From what I understand, they're annuals. I don't think you'd have much luck keeping them alive for more than 2 years, with evident decline during the second year.

This leads me to a question though. Are the plants reliably self-fertile, or do you need multiple plants in order to get seed?
    I don't know about that, there's a plant that's older than that in the university's greenhouse here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12