Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Goodyera pubescens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodyera pubescens

Due to a mistake on my part, and amazing generosity on the part of the seller, I find myself with a few extra of this temperate terrestrial orchid. The genus Goodyera are mostly grown for their interesting foliage, like a temperate jewel orchid. The winner will receive 3 bare root plants. To qualify you must meet at least one of the first 3 AND the 4th and 5th of the following requirements:
    1. Be a green Thank You member
    2. Have offered a giveaway of your own in the last 6 months, give or take.
    3. Your first post was either an introduction or a question, not an entry for a giveaway.
    4. Possess the ability to properly cut and paste, or be first on the draw.
    5. Pay $7 shipping for a small Priority box.

Winner to be chosen Monday 11/9 at 8 pm eastern, shipped Tuesday.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, I would looooove to know what media you use for this guy. I have killed my fair share trying to establish them in an outdoor flower bed, but never wanted the work of keeping up with them in pots. When I encounter them in the woods, they're always underneath pines within a puffy, airy matrix of needles/fungal hyphae.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Axelrod12 - Thanks John, neat orchid!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    John, I would looooove to know what media you use for this guy. I have killed my fair share trying to establish them in an outdoor flower bed, but never wanted the work of keeping up with them in pots. When I encounter them in the woods, they're always underneath pines within a puffy, airy matrix of needles/fungal hyphae.
    Sorry to derail this thread John.....

I mostly grow mine in the same mix I use for Cypripedium aucale. My mix consists of Pine Bark Fines, LFS, Pine Needles and Peat.....all in roughly equal parts. I've also had good luck growing them right in the ground (whatever soil composition that may be, I don't know) in my heavily shaded back garden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mix in the bed is about equal parts of sand, peat, Mosser Lee sphagnum and soil collected from under a stand of white pines. The soil is full of pine needles in various states of decomposition. On top of that is about 4" of pine needles. This bed was built around a white pine with Cypripedium acaule in mind. I also potted some in a mix of peat, perlite, fines from a bag of pine bark mulch and LECA.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 11-08-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Axelrod12 - Thanks John, neat orchid!
    2. hcarlton-after looking it up, I'm prompted to enter just for the name....
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the late post, winner is #1. Contact me asap.