Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping Gemmae Approaches

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually it is the prolonged contact with water that likely stimulates the gemmae to grow. While gemmae are not seeds they are basically dormant embryonic plants which is what a seed basically is - just more advanced developmentally than seeds and without the testa. I've dry stored D. scorpioides gemmae for two months in film containers with >85% remaining viable through that period. Unharvested gemmae on the plants themselves of most of the species I grow will remain viable for 3-6 weeks depending on the species. If I mist the plants regularly (once or twice daily) some of the unharvested gemmae may begin to sprout. Without misting they tend remain dormant until they dry out.

If the gemmae is old and sort of desiccated floating them in water will usually get them to sprout.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 12-23-2015 at 11:55 PM. Reason: spell check
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a hard time spraying embedded / sprouted gemmae off moistened pieces of paper towels. I have to pry them off with my fingers / nails. That's when I wonder if by doing that, I damage them and end up killing them. I've wondered if the gemmae in the crown were somehow receiving nourishment or were in some way connected to the parent plant. Personally, I like the gemmae shipped dry, in wax paper. They are much easier to deal with, in getting them to their respective pots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gotten a ton of Gemmae from my paleacea ssp paleacea, and was wondering about shipping them in cold weather.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They shouldn't be exposed to freezing temperatures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus_r View Post
    They shouldn't be exposed to freezing temperatures.
    That's what I figured. So how does one go about keeping packages from freezing? I understand one is meant to use heat packs, but where does one acquire such? I haven't seen them around.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also arrange to have them shipped as 'hold for pick up', with the Post Office.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    That's what I figured. So how does one go about keeping packages from freezing? I understand one is meant to use heat packs, but where does one acquire such? I haven't seen them around.
    shipping heat packs - Google Search
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12