What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Short notice Giveway 24 hrs - Utricularia pubescens + Microgramma vaccinifolia

Please read the entire post before signing up.

Must be a semi active poster, no new people please. Few posts a month is fine so long as you have atleast 50 overall and are posting in other threads than giveaways.

Continental US only and we do not ship to CA anymore.

Winners will pay postage of $8 before the 22nd of this month, we will be packing and mailing the morning of the 22nd and need payment via paypal BEFORE the day we are trying to mail them off.

The weather here is 70s, so please keep YOUR weather in mind. Sending plants to freeze in the mail is just not a good thing. I will not be checking up on weather in your areas.

Winners will be posted tomorrow around noon, 24 hrs or so from now.

This will be the first step in tearing down this terrarium, (just a fyi this terrarium had bugs I believed were aphids many years ago, I have not seen any in years and just last month used the "dry ice" pest method on all of my terrariums so make sure you understand and treat these plants accordingly).

Utricularia pubescens - atleast a 1" X 1" portion growing in ADA aquasoil covered in some moss.

Microgramma vacciniifolia (nice terrarium fern, runner)

Some bad photos of the tank.
DSC_0999 by randallsimpson, on Flickr
DSC_1000 by randallsimpson, on Flickr
DSC_1001 by randallsimpson, on Flickr
DSC_1002 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Utricularia pubescens - atleast a 1" X 1" portion growing in ADA aquasoil covered in some moss.

1.Swagalotus- thanks, I've been trying to get this species for a while!

Im assuming CA stands for California and not Canada, right? If so, it's still really cool of you to host this give away!

Last edited:
Yep CA is California, they are actually starting to enforce plant shipment laws and without all those fancy nursery certs good luck getting plant materials via mail anymore :) The last few packages we tried were returned to us after a friendly phone call from CA asking if they could open the box to inspect it. Returning boxes take 2-4 weeks to get back to us.

Just not worth all the effort, they did say you could drive any (legal) plant material over the state lines and that was just fine. You just can not mail it over.....

Really? what terrible news :-(
Thanks for the heads up though!

How moist does Microgramma vacciniifolia need conditions to be? (Some ferns which will grow in very moist/humid conditions can also handle/ endure surprisingly dry conditions as well.) Is it an aggressive spreader?

2. nimbulan - Thanks! I haven't seen this particular species available before.

How moist does Microgramma vacciniifolia need conditions to be? (Some ferns which will grow in very moist/humid conditions can also handle/ endure surprisingly dry conditions as well.) Is it an aggressive spreader?

I only mist that tank once a week at most, it has rooted into a cephalotus type medium and is growing on bark. It seems too not really care too much once it is established.

It is a runner so it will spread given free reign and no attention. Otherwise it grows slow enough to keep contained with a trimming every few months.

3.Nauz - nice I bet someone is gonna enjoy this. Thanks.

3.Nauz - nice I bet someone is gonna enjoy this. Thanks.
4. patrickntd - Thanks a lot.

Good news I have enough for everyone!

I'll send a PM soon with shipping details.

Thank you very much!

Just wanted to say that is possibly the best grown M. vaccinifolia that I've ever seen. Well done, Randall!

Would that fern be happy in eco earth? I would like to put a live fern in my cresties terrarium and that's the substrate I use.

Last edited:
Depending on the humidity and moist it could do fine. Would need 50%+ humidity and the medium would be fine if it was just moist, it can dry out completely for 3-4 days without much issue. I've never used eco earth so can not really say. The fern has always been a good slow grower for me.

Aw rats, missed deadline/don't think I have enough posts yet. If you ever have anymore divisions of that u. pubescens available and want to trade or work something out, let me know...been on the lookout lately :love:

You're not alone, Squid. I didn't have time to pop back on earlier .... Was interested in the Microgamma. Ah well, c'est la vi.

Last edited:
This batch is all packed up and will be heading off soon, if you don't get your box by friday let me know so I can send the tracking #s. Some of the portions had a Drosera or two, those would be D. capillaris (Loc Boiling Springs Lake, NC) plants that grew from years of the mother plant flowering above and dropping seeds down below. So if you end up with a Drosera that is the one.

We still have 3-5 portions of the Utric and the fern + a few other things in there that will be handled in the next giveaway. I'll try and allow more signup notice, but most of this is driven by my wive's work schedule and my yoyoing health.

This batch is all packed up and will be heading off soon, if you don't get your box by friday let me know so I can send the tracking #s. Some of the portions had a Drosera or two, those would be D. capillaris (Loc Boiling Springs Lake, NC) plants that grew from years of the mother plant flowering above and dropping seeds down below. So if you end up with a Drosera that is the one.

We still have 3-5 portions of the Utric and the fern + a few other things in there that will be handled in the next giveaway. I'll try and allow more signup notice, but most of this is driven by my wive's work schedule and my yoyoing health.

Received today, RSS much appreciated. Don't think it had any drosera but it's all good. By the way what kinda moss is growing in the clumps?

Thanks

My box showed up today as well, with some very nice live moss included! It looks very similar to the moss I've seen grown from Chilean LFS.

Back