What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey now! Wait just a gol' dern minute! LOL

Thanks for the thanks!

The next batch goes out in tomorrows post:

DAve Evans
Yoav Kessel
Kevin Becker
Goh Yihan
Justin Moore
Gene Viola
DAve Meyer
Walter C. (cant read the writing, hope it makes it)
Lenny Gallego
Neil Wilkinson
Oliver Hauver
Marco Cramer
Marie Paraday
Mark Wilson
Tim Vaughan
Iwein Coppens
Tommy Landry
Tan Sae Hee
Cindy (no last name?)
Rolando Barradas
Joe Lavarich

The confusion factor is running high. I am trying not to duplicate sendings, but it isn't easy. Please keep updating me by email as to what I have sent, if you haven't received any, if you want more. Include your address if you want more and do not have a SASE on file. Use your FULL MAILING ADDRESS name!

If I have promised you something, but you have not filed a SASE with me, and haven't received anything, please email me. There are MANY requests, so please don't rely on my memory and our good friendship to carry the day. NAG me for what you want!

There will be more gemmae produced, so don't worry if you haven't received anything, but do let me know so I can look into it. Please do not PM me about it! I do not refer to my PM messages in dealing with this...I need your emails to do the best job possible for you.

Today has been a trying day, and I am plumb beat. I individually harvested, packed and labeled a LOT of these miserable......err, WONDERFUL gemmae. I hope the baggies hold out....hopefully the best is yet to come.

I regret that I cannot acknowledge the receipt of your SASES, addresses, etc. or offer individual thanks for your donations and support, so let me thank you all now for all your wonderful comments, baggies, stamps, donations and support. I also apologize in advance for any slights, errors, or problems that might arise (as I am sure they will). Thanks for understanding, and good growing everyone!

Hey Tamlin, can I still get some gemmae? I didn't receive the last batch (Nov 23?), and I'm not on the list for this one. You've been more than generous with me, so take care of others first, but if there's any left over...

Capslock

Ditto for me Tamlin and thanks for all that you have done. I hope your sanity holds out.

Capslock and Copper,

Many species have not begun to produce gemmae yet. I have you both in mind for when (and if this happens). Pygmy species form gemmae at different points in the season. I have been holding off on you Caps since I know your space is limited and I want to send some of what I consider to be the most beautiful of the lot. Rose, you have pretty much everything I am currently producing, but I will check to see what I can add to your swelling collection.

Regretably, I missed the post today from having to deal with losing part of my roof, and dealing with my (pretty) good name being slandered by a former PFT member on the UK Forum (Deja Vu folks) which has me somewhat distracted. Tomorrow they will go out for sure. I am staying marginally sane though, although this may be debated by some.

Like I said, the best is yet to come, so hang in there!

Hi,The d.palacea you sent me are doing wonderfully! And the u.subulata is settling in. I look forward to anything else you send me.:)

Tamlin,
I recieved the 3 species of gemmae you sent out and they arrived fine, I think.Not sure how they are supposed to look.Some were kinda flat but I planted them anyway.the bubble wrap was all popped or did you do that yourself?
Thanks
Mark W.

Hi tamlin,
I just recieved some gemmae from you
thanks a million i will be planting it as soon as i get home
thanks
Oliver

Just wondering if any more gemmea are going to be sent out soon.

MArk,

Hmmm, some gemmae are flat, but the bubble wrap being popped worries me. I will be sending more gemmae, but let me know how these do.

Peter,

I will be sending out more gemmae asap. If you have a SASE on file, you are all set. I have had some things I need to deal with (like my roof problem) so I am a little behind, but the plants are still making gemmae so hang in there.

Tamlin, you have had a rough year!

hmmm, does this qualify of being dirt poor, I have about $8 worth of spending money... Anyway how do i get the gemmae? I just send in a SASE plus a donation of $2-$10 right? The last thing is what species do you have to give away?
rock.gif

I send whatever I happen to have currently being produced.  No way to say really.  I don't require a donation, just a SASE and patience.

Rose,

Things are looking up, well mostly from craning my neck to see the roof but..............my ship will come in!

Here are the latest envelopes stuffed today (man I hate the taste of glue, ptui!)

Rose Witt
Rich Commons
Peter Keller
Giancarlo CArbone
Corey Tillea
Dave Evans
Arthur Yin
Joseph Clemens
Iwein Coppens
Suzanne Hedderly
Max Schaffer
Owen Fitzpatrick
Andre Ederer
Arie Cohen
Mark Wilson
Steve Kozyn
Paul Miller

Please let me know when they arrive, and include an updated total list of what I have sent, along with your address if you want more gemmae.  If you still have a SASE on file I still need to hear from you to know what to put in it, if you don't tell me, I don't know.  Thanks again all for the interest.

The D. pulchella appear to be next up.  Hopefully by next week.

Capslock,
The N. hamata goes out tomorrow to you. Heads up. Don't get too excited, it needs a lot of TLC, but it's a chance for you.

OOO, Capslock, that would look very nice next to the rajah!
laugh.gif

Goodluck!

Wow! I didn't know N. hamata produced gemmae! (j/k) Good luck to Capslock!

SF

Hi, just want to share some pics of gemmae growth with all, thank Tamlin for the kind gift.
They were sown on 11/28.

D. paleacea subspecies ?
Copy_of_P2240116.jpeg

D. occidentalis ssp. australis "Warriup Form"

Copy_of_P2240117.jpeg

Hehehe, I don't have any N. rahah yet, Copper! I actually don't anticipate winning that auction, but if I do, cool! Tamlin, that N. hamata will live to pitcher again. All my meager knowledge and ameteurish efforts will go into its care.

Meanwhile, I'm loving my pygmy drosera! I find they do a lot better if I just do what you said to do in the beginning: cover with plastic wrap and put them VERY close to fluorescent tubes. The ones I did that with have near 100% germination, and the ones I put under my MH light (but a lot further away so they don't cook) received much lower rates. But I have at least one of everything growing nicely. Hopefully, I'll be the one going crazy putting hundreds of little gemmae into ziploc bags next year!
tounge.gif

Capslock

I just wanted to share my bookeeping method with you all. When I am ready to ship gemmae, I go to my email folder and review the saved email there. I look for a name that matches the SASE you have filed with me. If you have followed my instructions, the most recent email from you will have a name that matches the address on your SASE, a current list of the gemmae you have received, and a request if you would like additional material. I then go by this list and send new species as requested.

If there is a name in the email folder that does not have a SASE on file or an updated growlist, I make an envelope and send whatever I currently have. The problems arise when I check my sent list and find a name of someone I have sent to that did not pplace a SASE on file with me, and did not email me with a current updated list and/or a request for more gemmae. In this case I do not know if the gemmae arrived, what I sent, or if more is desired.

If you have updated you list by way of personal messages here or at the UK Forum, or if toy have updated it on this post, then this is not enough. You MUST email me. Pondboy, this includes you ;-)

Every email to me should have 1) your full name and mailing address (unless you have a SASE on file and it wouldn't hurt even if you do!) 2) an updated list 3) a request for HOW MANY more species you would like. I need this every time you receive gemmae.

Don't think because you spoke with me on the phone, messaged me, or traded with me, or have been a friend for years, that this will carry the day. You must email me, without exceptions.

I am dealing with over a hundred seperate individuals and multiple sendings, and this is the ONLY way I can track things.

If there are any problems with blurred labels, inviable gemmae, etc. etc. please let me know. I will correct any spelling errors when I review your lists, and will resend inviable gemmae if it is possible.

The offer remains open, but new interested parties, please review my initial posts for the details regarding this giveaway.
My address will be found earlier in this thread.

As far as my own collection goes, there were many losses over the summer, but whatever is remaining is looking really good right now! The rosettes are like fat little marbles, every color of red and gold you can imagine. The weak have died off, giving room for the survivors. I recommend that you not sow the gemmae to closely: crowded plants will not have the distinction individuals with space around them have.

Right now the D. pulchella forms have begun to produce a few gemmae. Most of these will go to my supporters that have kindly sent their donations, but I hope there will be some to spare to the rest of you. There is no sign of gemmae yet from many of the more rare species, but I continue to hope. The season can extend well into Feb. for some of these species.

It's a lot of fun to me to see your excitement at growing these jewels of the genus Drosera, and I hope that you will all in turn do your best to spread gemmae from your own plants. The only way to keep this material in circulation is to share, and also to learn what they need. Remember, by summer the excitement will have waned a bit, and the plants themselves will not be as pretty. It's easy to forget them then, but this is when they need the most attention: once the initial prolific flowering starts to drop off, you need to be aware of how they are responding to your conditions. This is the sensitive time when many species go dormant, and if kept overwet they will rot. There is good evidence (thanks Vic) that removal of some of the flower scapes will better insure that they make it through the summer. My own tentative experiments are supportive of this.

These are sort of "hands on" species. Cruise control works only until the mid-flowering season, and then you need to be alert! If you can bring a couple of rosettes through the summer, you will have gemmae to repopulate in the fall and winter, if not......poof...and you will be looking for someone that has a better touch than you do next gemmae season. This is why the sensitive forms are so hard to find: they produce plenty of gemmae, but growers often lose these species and need the gemmae of the few survivors to repopulate their own collections. There are many of us that depend on the few that have mastered the technique needed to successfully grow the more sensitive types.

Also, please be SURE to be meticulous with your plant labels. These plants are best grown outdoors as has been mentioned. Weather and animals out there will try their hardest to erode your ID methods. Where possible, use both a stake labeled in PENCIL, (not laundry marker!) as well as a name inscribed directly on the pot itself. Labels fall out, are dug out, washed out, faded out, blown away, or pecked out! Every year I lose more species by confusion than I do to culture, so take heed all you pyggers!

Finally, many of you are trying some different methods: taller pots, pure sand culture, terrarium and windowsill culture: your experiences are vital to helping others learn what can and can't be done. Please report both your successes and especially your failures so we can all get an idea of what works.

Back