What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yes, the rumors are true. I have gemmae to offer. Currently I have 2 different subspecies of D. paleacea: likely D. paleacea ssp. paleacea and D. paleacea ssp. roseana, but I can give no assurances. We will sort it out later as I should get well identified material this season which will afford my a firm footing for understanding the different subspecies.

Gemmae are free for a SASE, but this year I am asking for HELP with the not inconsiderable effort and expense to do a massive distribution of this material as I plan on doing.

As I mentioned on the Sundew Forum, it would be prudent for those wishing additional species to send additional SASES now, and I will keep them on file. I currently grow about 61 different species and varieties. If you have room, I have gemmae! Or soon will have!

I will send something in every SASE eventually, but this depends on how the plants behave this season. I am confident they will all produce, but life has surprises! Will I return the donations if I can't make good, yup, if you request it, or I will make it up in some other way. Trust me! heh heh.

Donations are averaging between 2 and 10 dollars, SASES average between 1 and 5. It sorta shapes up to 2.00 suggested donation per species. I will send 10-20 gemmae depending on what I get. Very rare species will be less. I will try to send the greatest variety and rarity to those who donate most freely to my cause, or to the truly desperate who cannot live without getting plants but are dirt poor (e.g. children and retirees, both of which I think I qualify as). The donations will be used to send out gemmae to as many as I can reach (and my arms have grown long) and persuade to take it, and you will be a part of this good work in a very real way. So, C'mon, do it for the plants! Go gemmae go! This will be my finest hour!

If you can convince me that you are skilled with these species and can grow the difficult ones well, I will send them to you, but I reserve the right to send these where they are best placed. I probably know most of you already, lol, but I always am looking for help keeping the really difficult pygmy's in circulation. If you know the ropes, please let me know!

I cannot promise to honor individual requests, although if you let me know what you want, I will try to provide it if I possibly can. Don't expect me to remember it though, you need to write it down on a note with your SASE. Treat me like I am an idiot because before all this is done, I will need peeling off the cieling.

If you send me SASES without requests, I will send whatever I have available, probably more than you will want.

Things to let me know in your email to me: (I WILL NOT RESPOND TO PERSONAL MESSAGES)

1) Your mailing address name AND your Forum name. To be kept in strict confidence.

2) If you want me to send the D. paleacea ssp. 1 or the D. paleacea ssp. 2 or both

OR

if you prefer to wait until there are MORE species available. (When? That depends on how many you want. Around X-mas things are really full tilt, but there is also a risk of freezing then. It's your call whether you want to risk the later shipping. It mostly worked last year for everyone, and it was a lot colder last season.
I will continue to post available species on this thread. If you want something you want and have a SASE on file, I will send it off with whatever else seems appropriate at that time at your email request, or request posted to this thread, but NOT via personal messages.

3) How many 4 inch pots can you place in your growing conditions? This will determine how many species I send. No sense in asking for what you don't have room to grow right? Also remember these aren't seeds: you need to be ready to sow them soon after they arrive. Get mixing!

4) What you have to trade, if you have anything. Don't assume I wouldn't be interested even if it is a common species. Trades will take preference. I am dying for some new plants for my Phytocytorium. (Yeah, I made that word up, somewhat) If you don't have trading material, a good word from a dead president will work wonders, as will creative begging (I assume you've all read my book on the subject?)

5) Please give me a general idea of your abilities with these plants: some are sensitive species and I want these to go to those who can best maintain and reproduce them. Tell me what you are growing, that will do the trick. For beginners I would rather send you an easy species (often the most beautiful!) that you can test your methods on, have success with and enjoy. Theres no joy in starting with a rare and difficult plant and then lose it. If you are new to pygmys, just let me know and I'll send what you will have the best chances with and I'll also include a little bit harder variety just to inspire you.

6) Any questions as to how I grow the plants, mixes, dormancy, light etc, go here:

http://www.cpzine.com/article.aspx?cid=13&y=2002&m=10&d=12

For those in the Order of the Acid Tentacle, the Inner Circle of my friends, amigos, mates, buddies, pizanes and pals who have done so much to make all this possible (that is, to all those I am currently already in debt to, lol), do not insult me by sending me further money or trying any funny stuff....it's yours for the request....Up the Scape!!!

Finally, I doubt the donations will do much more than fund the expenses of the....err, ORDEAL, but if it does turn out that there is something extra after the dust settles, I'll tell you right now that I plan on having at least one pint of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout down at King Arthur's. Is that ok with everyone?

No Ice Tea comments from you Plant-a-Kiss, if you would be so kind, hee hee.

OK. It's official. Go crazy Jethro!

well,  I had this big ole thing typed out and then internet exploder (hehe)  "blew up" So here is the brief version...

Tamlin, last year after these efforts you said you wouldn't do this again.   I told you that you would.   Here you are doing it.  For the love of plants and us members.  Thanks a lot *in many different ways and languages*  You know where I am when you need to talk because you're going crazy...  I know there was more but can't think of it...    lol.
Andrew

edit: woohoo! even though I went through all that crap I still made the first thank you reply!! yay!

Sweet deal =D. I think you'll be getting more than a pint of ice cream this season =D.

I have a suggestion, Tamlin.  Perhaps you could enlist some of those with no monetary contribution, but abundant eagerness (i believe you spoke of children and retirees) to help you pack them up and ship them out.  You could send whole batches to certain people, along with the SASEs.  They could do the individual packaging.  I guess the gemmae will wait a bit longer that way, but if it's the only thing that will preserve you, i think it's worth it.

awsome..  emailed ya
biggrin.gif

Ok, I have been corrected, not being over 21, I didn't know

[QUOTE ]I'll tell you right now that I plan on having at least one pint of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout down at King Arthur's. [/QUOTE]

That it isn't ICE CREAM!!
tounge.gif

Hey Freddy, I just wanted to give you the headsup on that Tamlin won't be responding to Personal messages.

WHOOO hooo!!!
Thanks for being so jenorous
i don't know if i have sent a SASE yet but i will have one on the way with some extra $
i was wondering if you could suggest a some begginer ones so that i can look them up and see witch ones will be esiest for me

LMK
Enoc22

You have to email me:

tamlindd@yahoo.com

if you need to talk to me. Be patient though, I get a lot of email action come gemmae time!

A gemmae Distribution Force, now there's an idea for me to mull over. Really, I can handle it this year I think. Not having to deal with triple wrapping of the units is really going to save time and sanity! (Thanks again George!)

Now don't y'all go gushing with thanks and King of the Dews and whatnot. This year its a mutual effort, and I should be the one thanking YOU. The distribution of CP is my ultimate goal, and you are helping me realize my own agenda, and that's a mighty big gift.

The Mother thanks you as well.

Enoc22,

I guess it depends on your space limits.  My all time favorite is D. pulchella x ericksoniae.  It is  the largest  growing pygmy in my collection, and is very undemanding.  4 gemmae will  grow to fill a 4 inch pot!   Also good is D. paleacea ssp. roseana and Drosera nitidula x D. occidentalis.  They are all different looking, easy and beautiful.

Check out the link I posted for some cultivation advice.

The address for the SASE's is:

William Dawnstar
42 East Oneida Street
Oswego, New York 13126

Knew I forgot something!

Ok....no ICED tea comments...but how 'bout a cuppa HOT tea instead?
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Wellllll...alright. I supposed an exhausted but very generous gemmae-sending machine could have ONE pint of that foul fermented goo. Blech!
smile.gif

I must say that if you get some pygmy gemmea, you will be hooked
wink.gif

I just love these little dews. Thanks for sending me gemmea last season. Just about all of them surivived and are doing well.

Nick,

You will be well taken care of this season! I have noted your appreciation and skills with these plants :) They are beautiful plants aren't they! I am hoping to reel in some new species this season as well. Maybe I will at last find D. citrina and D. nivea. Oh, and D. walyunga and D. spilos....<dream>. It's such an exciting time of year, beautiful plants, and many kind and sharing people to send and receive them.

Today brought another 6 Sases!

Keep them coming!

Hi tamlin
I have just cleaned my room and just started grow CP's so i have a whole shelf(i think 8"X4-5') just for them(with lights and all)maybe two

WOW i looked up the ones you mentioned and they look really neat just can't wait to to grow them (or try to any way)
how about D. pycnoblasta, D. pygmaea or D. microscapa are they easy to grow?
also you said somthing about children and retire'es does 16 count as a child(more teenager i gues :)
LMK
thanks a million(oh drosera king
biggrin.gif

Oliver

An SASE has been sent! Tamlin, your generosity, attitude, and hard work are an inspiration to all of us not only as CP growers, but as people. Please let me know if you ever are in need of anything to accomplish your mission. It would be an honor to be able to help out.

Capslock

Hi all,
Excuseme....
biggrin.gif
But..what mean SASE??
rock.gif

look at the top thread under the carnivorous plant trading post.

Thank's Joseph
biggrin.gif

But now i've got another question
Where i can get US. stamps in italy?
sad.gif
rock.gif
wow.gif

Back