What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Packages to go out

Copper,
Mine came in today too, thanks a bunch! My terrarium is starting to look better with plants in it.I'm hoping the terrestrials take off good for me.I have a dartfrog tank with a fungus gnat problem I bet they would help me with
biggrin.gif

Mark Wilson

Awww! Mark, you make me jealous! I so badly wanted Dart frogs before my parents vetoed the idea!
sad.gif

SF

Glad to hear that they are coming in. Everyone that received aquatics got at least Inflata and aurea. Most will have a little gibba as well. Give them time and you will see the difference. The Inflata will get thick and branchy. The aurea is more feathery to me. Gibba is very thin.

Those with aquatic questions.

There should be some daphnia in with the plants. They will be very small juveniles. My set up is a 10 gallon aquarium. It has about an inch of peat covered by .5 an inch of aquarium gravel on the bottom. I find the peat to be very important. The water resembles the color of weak coffee.

Check the water in your shipment. If you see little moving dots FEED THEM! Take a little yeast and put it in a little water. When the yeast breaks down add the yeast water to the plant water - just enough to cloud it a little. They will feast and breed.

If they did not survive I got mine from the bug farm, on the internet.

They will look that way, but only during flowering.

I will get the url for you tomorrow.

There were also many non-carnivorous little leave circles that looked like individual gemmae. These leaves floated to the surface when I put them in their container. Any idea what these are?

SF

I did a search on google and found this site http://www.biosierra.com There is alot of info on culturing daphnia and other feeder insects. Hope this helps,is this the same place you ordered yours from Copper?
Mark W.

Snowy Falcon, I'm guessing that's duckweed. No harm, just a speedy surface grower.
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

Yes, it is duck weed and it will protect your aquatics.  If you do raise the daphnia to feed the plants you will have to keep the duck weed off of some of the water. Daphnia like light.  I keep half of my tank fairly clear.

Hi,I mgot mine today I got;D.natalensis,spat,spatulata `frasier islands'(?),palacea ssp.roseanis,and intermedia "cuba",and of course some aquatic utrics. My questions is that duck weed a different species then you sent me last time?,as it seems much smaller.Should I send you $2 more,as I didn`t realize you would send them priority and only sent $2,and did the leucophysalis berries I sent with the payment arive in good shape?

Thanks,
Noah.:)

It is the same.

For those of you that received the P. unknown, it is a primuliflora (purple flower). It flowered.

Punknownflow3.jpg

Piccies!

I am assuming this is U. inflata?
u1.JPG

And this "feathery" type is U. aurea?
u2.JPG

I know it will be shooting fish in a barrel when they flower but I do see noticable differences in these 2 masses of plants...I might have gibba in there as well...no idea yet.

Thanks!

I havent received mine yet.
sad.gif

Jerry

NG, that would be right.

My Utric skills are getting better!
smile.gif

Thanks for the reply.
smile.gif
I'll seperate them sometime later on when the pieces that got broken off get large enough to remove. BTW, how do I mix up yeast and water? Need it be hot water and a specific amount of yeast to a specific amount of water? I have no idea if I have an Daphnia at all ( i prolly do but don't know what I'm looking for) but I figured I should throw in some yeast for them to eat if I do have any.

Thanks
smile.gif

They look like tiny moving specks.  Just put a some grains of yeast into luke warm water.  Let it sit for a while then mix it.  It should look like cloudy water.  Dump that in with your plants.  By they way I am pretty sure that you also received Gibba.  It is very thin and probably mixed around one f the others.  Just give it time and it will grow enough to become apparent.

OK great! Thank you for all your help! Good luck with the Sarracenia divisions and the H. heterodoxa 'gran sabana' I wish you the best with them!

I only found 2 water fleas in mine.
sad.gif
I hope they surivive.... Hehe i got some gibba but it's one very small strand. A nepenthes gracilis does your plant have any bladders on them? I don't see any on mine.

Back