What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peltier junctions thermocooling

Welcome to the forums.

Moved to the trading area. Please note I edited out selling information as the forums are not for listing items for sale at this time. Trading however is fine.

Tony

Tell us more about the junctions and the kind of circuit needed and how much cooling can be expected, etc. How large are they? Would they fit inside a pot of Darlingtonia?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepgrower @ May 23 2004,11:56)]Tell us more about the junctions and the kind of circuit needed and how much cooling can be expected, etc.  How large are they?  Would they fit inside a pot of Darlingtonia?
depends. Some are quite small ans simple, but some are huge, like the ones able to only fit on a CCD cameras...also known as 'thermoelectric coolers, they can lower temps by at least 30*C, much more effective than fans (which only do a few degrees). I saw some for sale on a website somewhere, hasve to find it then I'll get back here (my facts might not be 100% accurate)

Not exactly like air-cons though, doesn't really blow cold air like air-cons do (or like some ppl think they do, air-cons don't either)

The ones on the website were cheap, 'bout 14 bucks (US) and very effective in cooling (obviously claimed by the company themselves...)
wink.gif

nepgrower: how big a pot?
wink.gif

Just make sure you don't give your plants an electric shock...
tounge.gif

I'm not sure you want those kinds though, unless you want to freeze your darlingtonia's roots every time you water them...maybe a smaller, simpler version, not the heavy duty ones used to cool cars...
wink.gif

Oh and BTW, welcome to the forums heliguy! (we have another potential addict...)
tounge.gif

If they are really heavy duty, maybe this could help with my highland plants at night. I currently run a refigerated air conditioner for an hour or two each night and it eats the electricity! Surely they could be put on a thermostat to cool a pot (if the unit is water tight).

I just finished my physics exams, don't talk about thermostats or all that stuff no more, my head's too dizzy full from all the physics stuff crammed into it. They could, just that you'll have to find a way to attach them. I not sure about watertight coolers, though, but at least its cheaper than using a refridgerator! Plus it doesn't blow freezing aironto your plants as well, just cools the environment like nature does...
smile.gif
;)

Dang I didn't wan to post a smiley...tOO expressive. I made a new one, maybe we could translate it into smiley image! Here it is:

:)

Hehe :)

Back