What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Century plant

I have a nice, large, century plant for trade.

Well rooted, and 12 inches tall. I would like something very nice for it, since 3 inch tall plants go for 15-20 dollars (from what I've seen)

I'm looking for nice Sarracenia and Nepenthes. Please PM me.

(this is the greenish form, not the yellow on green one)

last one is gone. PM me still, if you want me to put you on the waiting list

haha no
laugh.gif
There are still century plantlets around the mother plant, but they are too small to trade off. Another 2-3 months and you should be set
laugh.gif

Who else wants on the list?

whats a century plant?
( my noobness is showing eh?)

Agave americana-terrestrial desert succulent. Like an Aloe but, much bigger and not really Aloe

Joe

BTW They only bloom once every 100 years and then die, leaving pups around the mother to carry on. (hence the name century) I think they are an eternal plant.

Well, the flowers on the flower stalk turn into little plantlets that fall to the ground, leaving huuuge patches of these little buggers around the parent plant, which later dies. the plantlets are easily carried by the wind, and when dropping from 50 feet up in the air, often travel large distances (in a storm, several hundred feet, in a daily breeze, maybe 10-20)

They don't pup?
I don't actually grow any, never interested. I only grow the southwest, South American and African cacti, as well as tropical cactus.

Joe

I should mention that the barbs on the side of the leaf and the long black needles at the end of the leaf are lined with a slight toxin, so be careful
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ June 04 2004,11:00)]Agave americana-terrestrial desert succulent. Like an Aloe but, much bigger and not really Aloe

Joe

BTW They only bloom once every 100 years and then die, leaving pups around the mother to carry on. (hence the name century) I think they are an eternal plant.
Not so,although some very slow growing Agave may take nearly 100 years it typically takes 15-30.

Well yes but for sake of easyness........ It wouldn't make sense to say 15-30yrs deserves the name century. A short explanation of name was my intent.

Joe

Um 15 years is far off from 100 years!

if i remember right i saw one of these that was in the process of sending up a flower spike at the Calgary Zoo last fall. it was a huge plant, prolly 6 ft across.

Rattler

If I remember right, it dies after blooming. Now if it only takes 15-30yrs to bloom and hence die, why on earth would they name it a century plant if nothing about it is 100yrs (century)?
If it dies after blooming it can't very well live to 100 if it blooms at 15-30 or any where close to that even. Now I don't grow Agave, Aloe or any of the likes except Sempervivums, I do however know cactus. I MAY be wrong about all this, but i don't think so. Perhaps since CactusDoug raises and sells retail these plants, he would enlighten us on correlation of name to blooming and life etc.........

Joe

Well I`ve rwad about them in several cacti and succulents books and they all say 15-30 years.:p

doesnt mean its true
smile_k_ani_32.gif
think about cps... so many wrong articles about em

I wouldn't put too much faith into a common name being scientifically accurate. Someone probably gave it the name Century plant because it seemed like it would take or took a century for the lousy plant to flower. Or they take so darn long to flower a century might pass. I highly doubt anyone even bothered to find out how long for a small plant to flower before giving it the common name 'century plant'.

well if you will excuse me now.. I have to go check on my flytrap that came from Venus.

T

Back