What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for mandragora officinum

If anyone can offer me any leads or seeds to feed my needs please let me know. Mandragora officinum is a non-CP species that is very rare and difficult, and I want to have a go with it.

Let me know and we'll work out a trade.

TIA

Tamlin,

I contacted world plant search for you, here is the response I recivied:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As far as I can tell Mandragora officinarum is not offered by any mailorder company in the US. Since it is available in Europe, I suspect legal issues. The following source offers Mandragora autumnalis, which is sometimes considered a subspecies of M. officinarum, and has similar uses. In fact, the name they use is "Mandragora autumnalis (officinarum in part)", whatever that means.

Arrowhead Alpines ($2.00)
P.O. Box 857
Fowlerville, MI USA 48836
Telephone 517-223-3581
Fax 517-223-8750  

http://www.arrowheadalpines.com

The following UK sources will ship to the US, probably at prohibitive risk and expense, and there may be legal restrictions on this particular plant.

Golden Cottage,Scarcliffe Lanes,Upper Langwith

Mansfield

NG20 9RQ

United Kingdom

Telephone No:
mobile 07952 804077

Poyntzfield Herb Nursery
Nr Balblair, Black Isle,Dingwall

Ross & Cromarty

IV7 8LX

United Kingdom

Telephone No:
(01381) 610352*

Fax:
(01381) 610352

Email:
info@poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk

www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk

Salley Gardens
32 Lansdowne Drive

West Bridgford

NG2 7FJ

United Kingdom

Telephone No:
(0115) 9233878 evenings, mobile 07811 703982

evilvoodoolizard@aol.com wrote:

On Sun Jun 13 09:33:19 2004,
The following information was submitted:
Host:
name = Mandragora officinarum
region = Minnesota
submit_by = evilvoodoolizard@aol.com
mailing_list =
remarks =

Hope this helps,

Chris

Wow, Chris! Thank you so much. That should give me something to work with for sure! That was a heck of a lot of research and I really appreciate it!

Yes, this is Mandrake.

Mandragora officinarum is a wild plant in Israel I have to check if I can find some source for seeds
Arie

Thanks for the photo's Arie!  That is the plant I am after.

Inearly sure in a day or two I would have final answer about the seeds
If not I would go to look for them in nature
Arie

do you mind getting tubers and not seeds?
Arie

Hi Tamlin,

Did you try eBay? I found some possibilities by searching "Manragora" and "Mandrake" There are a couple people selling seeds and possibly plants.

Mike

Tamlin,

Sorry, I meant "Mandragora".

Mike

Thanks for the tip Mike, I will a hunting go!

Arie,

I am just looking for seed, should you happen to find any.

I'm going on trying to get the seeds too if I wouldn't find any I would try to hunt for them at the area (I hope it isn't too late for finding them)
Arie

I didn't know it was a native in your area Arie, and I see I need to do my homework sooner than I had expected. I learned of the plant from a Japanese grower I communicate with (via a professional translator no less, lol) who impressed me with the difficult germination and general difficulty in growing it. So, I want to try it. Thanks a lot for your offer, and happy hunting!

I didn't find seeds yet ay the places I know the plant grow in nature could be it's a bit too late but I didn't give up.
Anyway if you like to try to grow it from the tuber I'm going to have tubers in couple of days.
Arie

Thanks for the link Brian, I appreciate that!  The current auction is up to over 10.00 for 5 seeds, and I am sooo tempted!  Congratulations on your plants, was the seed as hard to germinate as I have heard, or did you get plants?

Arie, I am very close to paying back that loan!  Hopefully within 2 weeks my friend.  Remember to cover your ears when you pull the root........

They are alredy out
I did the work as the books said
Arie

BTW
I'm going to send it in couple of days
you can plant them now but don't water it at least until September
Arie

Back