What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free nepenthes for 5 beginners

Especially when someone acts unconsious so a hot lifeguard comes to his rescue, then while shes giving the kid artificial respirasion he kisses her! (Like from the movie the sandlot)

Yeah! That scene is priceless! I can still remember it even after not seeing for like, what 6 years almost? Kinda forgot what everyone looked like though.

Good ol' Squint!
smile_n_32.gif
(Wasn't that the kids name?)

YOU'RE KILLING ME SMALLS!

Pools , schmools. The "passions" story was much better, IMHO, lol! I think it will be hard to knock him out of the running for a plant, especially since he only has four cps.

Cheers,

Joe

Ok everyone. I shipped the plants out today. I am ready to post the stories! I want to thank everyone who posted! I will do this again, you can be sure!

The winners were ALLOSAURZ, LOL, FYGEE, SCOTT, and SUPERIMPOSEDHOPE!

Congratulations everyone. BTW, I did relax the rules a bit as far as number of plants go and these folks met all the other requirments.  
smile_n_32.gif

Here are the stories:

I think all five are very good, they follow in random order!

Allosaurz writes:

In high school I was in AFJROTC. I was also on the drill team. One of the years our exhibition team was low on people so I was "drafted" onto the team. I worked hard to rember the exhibition sequence. I had it down to a T. However when the competition came in front of a couple thousand people my mind went blank and the sequence was a very long sequence. I was embarrassed, terrified, and I felt bad about letting my team down. But that was 3 years ago and I became a much better person at DT member {even though i got off the exhibition team later)It was embarassing though since I only remember bits and pieces of the sequence I had to watch and see what my teammates were doing through the corners of my eyes. I figured if I screwed up the sequence I at least wasn't going to be docked for losing my military bearing. Also another embarassing story that was almost as bad for me was the fact that I am a college student. Something college students do is drink and drink lots. One night I was exposed to a drink that had ever clear in it and I drank a lot. To make a long story short I made a couple trips to some friends rooms that result in me lying on the floor screaming japanese( I had failed japanese earlier that year) I also said a lot of things that made no since and my room mates had the good intent to write them down to remind me of what I said in the morning. I do not have them at the moment but if you would like to look over them I am sure I could getting one of them to send the list to me. Another embarassing but funny drinking experience involved me drinking lots of fruity drinks. These tend to go straight to my head or stomach. I wasn't really that drunk just a bit tipsy. I managed to get back to my dorm room. I had made it up into my bed (which is lofted) and immediately got sick. It wasn't that big of a deal though because most of it hit the trashcan. I cleaned the trashcan out and then I decided to wash my sheets. I piled my sheets up, took an elevator down to the basement through them in the washing machine sat down and then 6 hours later I woke up under a table in the basement. I do not know what is more disturbing. The fact that I passed out under a table or the fact no one bothered to disturb me for 6 hours.

SUPERIMPOSEDHOPE writes:

Ok, I played football for 8 yrs. Well, I was an offensive tackle and lead blocking for the fullback. He got smashed from the side and fumbled the ball in open field. The guy that hit him was down so I picked up the ball. Just as I stand up, I get hit from the side and kinda roll off of him only to be hit a second time. At this point I had spun 4-5 full 360s, I managed to escape and run like the wind for the goal line. I didn't really notice my own players were in my way until I got to the endzone.
I got there and turned around to celebrate and I realised then what I had done. With a medium to full crowd and fellow teamates along with cheerleaders watching. I had run the ball into my own endzone scoring a 65 yard safety for the other team. I was so embarassed when I turned around and everyone was staring and laughing, my team throwing their helmets at me. I felt like the biggest *******. It followed through the next 4 yrs of football. I to this day rarely tell anyone who doesn't know about it.

lol writes: (Italic areas were edited for content!)

Ok.  Hre it goes.  Hope it's not too graphic.  So, it was one day, and i decided to do something stupid, and print (naked girly pics) off my dad's computer, in his office at home.  So, i printed the stuff out, and put it all in my room.  So, then my dad gets home.  Then, suddenly I remember there is one pic I left on the floor!!!!  And just my luck, it was his day to clean up the office.  So I went in, and inconspiciously looked around, and to my horror, he had picked up the pic and thrown it away.  He was givin me wierd looks all night, until he finally said something about it.  I was so ashamed.  The worse part was the contents of the pic, as it was some odd (animated) naughty stuff.  I swore off that stuff for months...

I guess what makes this so good is the ending, lol didn't give it up for good, only "for months..." I LOVE IT! You rock lol!

fygee writes:

Possibly the most embarrassing experience that has ever happened to me is when I sprained my ankle in high school, junior year. Unfortunately it wasn't one of those cool injuries playing a high contact sport, or even one of those accidents, like tripping down a stair, that a person can laugh at but forgive. Nope, I sprained my ankle while walking very slowly to pick up a frisbee, thanks to rock about 1/8 an inch in size getting caught in the groove of my right sneaker. I slipped and my ankle bent at a 100 degree angle, basically tearing apart every muscle on the left side of it. To everyone else, it looked like I had just slipped in place and I made a complete jack rear out of myself.

It didn't end there. I got stuck with a stupid lime green cast that stuck out more than I thought it would, and by the time the 6 weeks ended, it looked more like a stanky olive green. That got me a lot of friendly ribbing, and because my ankle healed faster than expected, but I couldn't get the cast removed a week early like I could've, I spent a full week running laps and playing basketball with a big, lumbering cast on!

Scott writes:

I was doing student assistant work in a guidance office at my High School when this occurred.  Once before, I had gone out to my bosses Toyota truck to get something from the car.  So I knew what type of car it was, how to work the car alarm, and all that sort of thing.

Well this one afternoon she's on the phone with someone, trying to take care of some personal billing problems.  So she's talking to the representatives on the phone, and all the sudden she tells me to go to her car and get a bag out of it.  The bag had some receipts and other information that she needed.  So I take her keys and head to the car(which is about a 10 minute round trip, so all the while I'm thinking that the representative is going to hang up on her because I'll be too slow, and get in trouble as a result).

So I reach the staff parking lot, and I look around for a second, and I spot her truck.  So I walk up to the truck, and using the alarm keychain, press the button to turn off the alarm.  But nothing happens.  I press it a few more times, still no "beeping" noise to say that its deactivated.  So I stand there for a minute or two, pressing the thing, staring through the window, trying to see if its truly deactivated or just on silent.  I'm afraid of opening up the door and having the alarm go off, cause I am just a student and this is the faculty parking lot.  I don’t want to get in trouble.

I'm already worried about opening the car up and having the alarm go off, but to make matters worse, there is some strange guy standing about 50 feet away just watching me.  He's not a campus employee, and I have no clue who the guy is.  I know all the staff members, and I just don’t recognize him at all.  So he's sorta watching me, and I'm afraid he's gonna tell somebody that there is a student trying to break into a faculty members car.  So I'm a little freaked out about that too.

So I eventually try to unlock the car with the keys, and nothing is happening still.  I put the key in, turn it both ways, nothing.  The door wont unlock.  At this point I figure she gave me the wrong set of keys, because nothing at all is happening.  But at the same time, I'm wondering if I'm just being a complete idiot and dont know how to work the car door.  I try the handle, the door stays shut and is still locked, so I walk back to the car to ask her if these are the right keys.

When I get back to the office, she's still on the phone and wont talk to me(because she's busy on the phone).  So I grab the other student assistant, tell him whats happened, and ask him to come try the car keys.  I figure its just been my fault, and maybe he will have better luck with it.

So I end up turning a corner and entering the parking lot, and the truck is gone.  Its completely gone.  Theres just an empty parking space.

My mind is frantically rushing through things, trying to figure out where the car went and explaining to the other guy that the truck should be here.  And then I realize that the odd man, the stranger who didnt belong on the campus, is also no longer there.  Then it hits me...I left her car unlocked and he stole it once I left.  

So there I am, wandering the lot cause hoping I'm in the wrong spot, hoping that the car really wasnt stolen.  I'm trying to rationalize everything and figure out what happened, and I end up giving the other guy the keys.  He looked at them and says, "This key is for a Volvo."  And I look at the keys, and sure enough, it has a Volvo logo on it.

I felt horrible.

All this time, there was a little red Volvo parked opposite the truck and I had never even looked at it.  She had always driven her truck, and the truck I was trying to open was the exact say truck.  She never ever told me to go to a different car, and I had no way of knowing to look for a Volvo.  To make matters worse, the stupid Volvo did have an alarm that deactivated silently, so I never knew that I was arming and disarming the alarm of a different car.  

The other guy got a kick out of the whole thing, but it was one of the most embarrassing and frightening things I've ever had happen.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE! What a great group!

Steve

Thank you Steve for thinking of the Newbies. You are fine as frog hair in my book!

heheh, sooooo are you going to have another event someday? Maybe people with under 10 neps are eligible.
smile_l_32.gif

Good stories! That was fun.
smile.gif

Just got my plant. Thanks a lot man! I didnt know you work at Meijer gardens. I'll research this plant to see wether or not it's a burkie.

Ok, from what I've gathered, with the plants in cultivation, there is very very little difference, exept maybe in the fact that burkie seems to have yellower leaves. The plant I have looks the same as the burkie tony has pictured on his website, but even that burkie looks like one of the ventricosa he has pictured. They look almost the same. Between clones similar to those, I really dont think it justifies them being a different species. The only true genetic burkies may be the ones in the wild, pictured in that one article posted a while back. Perhaps what is in cultivation is a mixture of ventricosa and burkie, originating from hybrid plants in the wild perhaps. That may explain some of the variability in cultivated plants, but I really dont know. There should be a study of variability of both species in the wild.

Got mine in the mail. Its a mighty thing of beauty, and I'll do my best to take care of it.
smile.gif

I'll try and post of pic of it once my sis returns from her vacation and I get the digicam back.

That was a real treat, thanks Steve! Now I ain't gonna point any fingers or names or laugh...
smile_m_32.gif

*pokepokenudgenudge*
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Wow I got mine in the mail today and it is breathtaking! I love it and once again thank you very much. Hopefully I can't keep this thing alive since I have been researching this nepenthes since the contest began. I am reasonably confident that the plant you sent me though was a ventricosa though which is again very beautiful. Hmm a week ago I had no nepenthes. Now I have 5 (allthough the 3 I got from meijers (the store not the garden:;): ) look pretty pathetic) So once again Thank you for the plant I am very grateful. Also I have one question. The moss growing in the pot is sphagnum right? I have seen so many different mosses called "sphagnum" that i don't know what is what anymore. Thanks a lot. hopefully I will have pics up tomorrow!

Hopefully one day when this plant grows large enough for me to take cuttings i will be able to do the same thing

well one day i was following this girl i liked, i was going to tell her i liked her when i tripped and got poop all over my white T....:( we'll..get bac 2 me

(gonna blow up your spot) don't you have more than 5 al? ::cough::

Back