What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free nepenthes for 5 beginners

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ June 26 2004,2:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
No problem there, I have enough stories I could win all five., The hard part would be trying to narrow down which story I would submit. Would it be the explosion I caused in Walmart? Or the time I was kicked out of a country? Maybe it was the time I stopped to help an elderly couple whose car had broke down? Could be the time I helped my Pakistani neighbor with his vcr? Perhaps it was the time I met Black Sabbath and PO'd Ozzy Osbourne? Maybe it was the time I wrecked the train? It could be the time I shot myself in the chest with a 9mm? I just can't decide which story would be my most embossing.

Alright, Ozzy, you need to make a new thread called "Ozzy's Crazy Life" and post all of those stories. I'm very very curious now!

Does it count if I had at one point less than 5?
smile_n_32.gif

Steve-If N. burkei is a seperate species is deffinately an issue.  Ch'ien posted a picture last Fall of N. burkei.  It sure didn't look like N. ventricosa or if it is then it's and extreame end of the spectrum from N. ventricosa we normally see.  I am deffinately not qualified to determine if they are distinct enough to split.  The other problem is that many N. burkei and what has been introduced as N. burkei are nothing like the picture that Ch'ien posted and look much more like N. ventricosa.  Deffinately needs to be some research and clarification.  If your plants came directly from someone that travelled there then perhaps they are indeed the 'real' N. burkei.  

Here is a link to the thread with pics for you to check out.
N. burkei thread by Ch'ien Lee

Thanks for the link Tony. I think at this point its safe to say that the plant I have labled as burkei could be ventricosa or burkei. I just don't knoe for sure. They look alot more intermediate to me then anything else. Anyway, Thanks for the link!

Steve

Ok everybody,

If you are a beginer and you have a few more then 5 plants, go ahead and PM me your story. I just don't think some of you that PM'ed me are geting it. You have to tell me the story so I can share it with the group!

You can't just write "one time I fel off my bike and was real embarrassed". Why were you emarrassed, what were the details. TELL THE STORY! Come on people put more then two minutes in to this! These are nice plants and I want it to be FUN!

Steve

YEAH!!!! We want all the sordid details, heh heh. We want JUICE! Inquiring minds want to know.....

i live in the uk can you still send them to me i am new i have 3 cps only i have 1typical vft 1 d.alicia and 1 s.pupurea ssp venosa if it is ok to ship to the uk then ill tell you my most emmbarissing thing

Sorry Tree, These are in potting mix, so I can only do US addresses.

Steve

Has anybody stepped up yet? I know I'm out, as i just got a 4' long ventrata, and a truncata with 18" pitchers today!!!!!! ! I'm so happy (pics coming soon) !

You know, if I were you guys I would be spitting out my personal story in hopes that Steve will rekax the "Five Plant Catcheroo" clause. Now, if I told my story, I would win HANDS DOWN. Sadly, the tale is not repeatable in polite company where small pitchers have ears.....so I ain't a gonna do that. C'mon you bunch of needy Nepenthaholics, give! Let us blush with you as you admire your new plant!

OK, I have tons of neps, but I'll kick it off. This isn't Ozzy level material by any means.

I invited the parents, and a bunch of old family friends over for a housewarming party when I bought my new house. I decided to barbecue up some fish on the grill. I got all kinds of good stuff for salads, a rice dish, and lots of really nice fish. So, they come over and everything is great, and it's time to cook the fish. I fired up the 'cue and started cooking up the fish. The flames started licking up into them, and so I grabbed my spray bottle and doused them a bit. A second later, the same thing happened, and again, I sprayed it down. Finally, it happened again, and I thought, something isn't quite right here. It's not burning quite normally. It was then that I realized that it was some sort of Windex stuff, not water, that I had been spraying on the fish. Doh! I managed to destroy the entire main course. Everyone had a good laugh and we went out to a local restaurant for dinner. Of course, they enjoy recounting that story over, and over, and over....

Capslock

Ok, I have lots of Nepenthes's but I will just give you my most embarrasing story that is appropriate anyways-
I was at a pretty formal restauraunt with my family eating dinner, having a fun time like normal. Then when it came time to the end of the meal I was getting kinda full from all the food and decided to lean back and forth in my chair for relaxation. But then as soon as I knew it I leaned forward a little to far the the whole chair slipped right out of my butt and I fell, hitting my head on the table and falling underneath the table. And with the extra suprise the cup of water also followed my decent downwards and spilled all over my head making me sopping wet... Well that made a LOUD noise with the chair falling over and such, and everyone in the whole restauraunt turned around and stared at me for at least a minute to see if I was ok.
Luckily nothing major happened except for a little bump on my forehead, but still imagine standing up to a big packed restaurant with your hair sopping wet and having everyone stare at you!...
mad.gif

Well there is my story
biggrin.gif

most embarrassing moments... hmm...

One was when I fell into the bat ray touch pool at monterey bay aquarium... another was when I spilled mayo all over my pants and it looked like i had been... nevermind
smile_m_32.gif
anyways i got a lot of stares from that, only no one saw the mayo fall from my sandwich... another was when a nice lady from BACPS (she had a parrot on her shoulder!) gave me a pinguicula (first one, and it was my first meeting too), It was bare root, and i asked her if it was BIRD FOOD!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
another was when i fell off the pier at a lake in colorado... scared away all da fish!

I've never done anything embarassing in my whole life....

And I have a 25 year old N. rajah for sale....
smile_m_32.gif

I am racking my brain, but man, I must be boring.
The mayonaise story is the funniest I have read so far, lol.
The most embarassing thing I can remember is I was working at a grocery store and a radio station had set up a table and was broadcasting live. They liked me for some reason and asked me if I had anything to say to the mike. This fellow co-worker, at that point, puts her hand over my mouth and the only thing Lincoln,NE hears is "mnmph." Man was I pissed off!!
mad.gif

Cheers,

Joe

its not fair i cant get them because i live in the uk

sob

smile_h_32.gif

I'm glad I'm NOT in the running for this because there is NO WAY I'd ever tell my most embarrassing moment.
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ June 29 2004,1:31)]I'm glad I'm NOT in the running for this because there is NO WAY I'd ever tell my most embarrassing moment.  
confused.gif
cmon! PLEEEEASE

Suzanne, I'll tell it for you.

Back