What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free nepenthes for 5 beginners

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ June 29 2004,3:15)]Suzanne, I'll tell it for you.
YEEEA! DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!
smilie4.gif
smilie4.gif

OK I have more than five Neps but here comes the story. "The Unfortunate Paging Incident."

It was panic mode at work someone was going to be late with a promised delivery. The Project Manager and I were trying to solve the problem and had just paged someone on the office speaker system, using speaker phone. When he hung up the phone, it didn't diconnect. The conversation went something like this...Those *** ***** better come through. I know, if they don't we're ******!...as we heard our voices broadcast over the office PA system. The PM turned white as a ghost as people walked by the office laughing.

The moral of the story: Watch your language you never know who's listening or pay attenting when being trained on how to use the phone.

I hope my *'s didn't offend anyone.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

This is great you guys! I really love the fact that you guys with lots of plants are posting your stories here anyway. I have three PM's that qualify so far, so that means at least two more people can win a plant! You guys have one more day to PM me those stories! Hop to it. And just for the record, I may bend a tiny bit with the 5 plant rule, but not much!

Tamlin PMed me one of his stories, and belive me, he can't post it here! I did just about fall off my chair however. Now doesnt that just bug the heck out of you!

Well, PM your stories people, I will publish the winners here! One more Day!

Steve

OOO, your bending it by how much? If you have 5 or less neps?
smile.gif

Oooooooh! How are we bending it? less than 5 neps? Less than 50? (5x10=50, might work)

That'd be good.....

You guys are killing me by keeping those most embarrasing moments secret! C'mon Plantakiss we need some more entertainment here!

Oh man, this is good!  I don't know why but the resturant story made me laugh the most.  I guess I can relate, this is the sort of thing that happens to meeee!  There is just something so choreographed, that it has to be by some Cosmic authorship that these things happen so perfectly timed.

Geez, I just realized that I can't even tell my SECOND most embarassing story.  See, I am sort of....strange, and strange people get into strange waters.  Mercy!

You can forget bugging PAK too, she is 10 times more stubborn than any of you.....and she's a little strange too, but in a really good way!

This is soooo cool.  I wish Steve had about 50 to give away.  Laughing is good medicine and I just got a dose!  Thanks!

Hey Ozzy,

If you REALLY do know that story, you would have to be pretty brave to tell it. PAK has agents everywhere ready to strike at her merest command. I think Pete Thiel is her man in Ohio, so better think about it amigo..........

Noooooooo waaaaaaay!
confused.gif

And Ozzy...you don't know nuthin'! But maybe I could be bribed to tell Tamlin's story......
smile_n_32.gif

You know what, I really dont have a good story... or atleast I cant remember. Oh, on second thought... sending pm!
smile_m_32.gif

Sent you a PM.

It might not sound quite as bad from reading, but believe me, if you were there, you would've been laughing your arse off and sending forth waves of shame onto me.
smile_n_32.gif

SUzanne, I'll meet any bribe and double it just to keep you quiet!

Hmmmmmmmm....verrrry interesting proposition there. But I don't know...it sure is a funny story. Might be worth the mirth. I'll see what bribes come my way and let you know.
smile_m_32.gif

In a moment of weakness, I taught my 7- yr old(now eight) the old gag, "What's worse than a Hurricane? A TITTY TWISTER!!!", and then you grab the appropriate area and twist. She thought that was a hoot, but the look my wife gave me at that moment peeled the wallpaper off.
My daughter still says it, but she always says"Twitty Tister" and I am careful not to correct her. She can't do it to anyone else, either.

smile_l_32.gif

Joe

Now Joe...that's a pretty good one! I'll bet your wife did nearly cut you in half with a look. lol

Schloaty...pay careful attention. These are some things NOT to teach your daughter and it may save you some hide later on down the road.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Schloaty...pay careful attention. These are some things NOT to teach your daughter and it may save you some hide later on down the road
Oh, the unrepeatable things I say to her right now, while she can't understand...

They're gonna come back and haunt me....
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I need to update my "most embarrassing" list. I think I have a new number one.
The embarrassment is still too fresh for me to repeat right now. It was Saturday night. All I can say is it involves a wedding, a room full of cops, 15 to 20 Black Velvets and cokes, unknown amount of campaign, one valium, and my misconception that I was 10 ft tall.
Tamlin remember telling me about all those points I'd get if I go to the wedding instead of the bog trip? well let's just say I lost all those points and alot more.
This one's going to take alot of time to get over.

Ooooh, now that does sound interesting!  
laugh.gif
  I'm curious about the 10 foot tall part...
Glad you're still here.
biggrin.gif

I have recently found a Drosera sp., Penguicula sp., a Saracenia sp., and only yesterday a Nepenthes sp. These all came in little plastic cups at Lowe's with princely sums. I just tried repotting them into something appropriate this afternoon. My plant fever fueled, I have been methodically checking the internet this pm to try to find more affordable insectivorous plant sources, when I stumbled onto TerraForums and my attention was drawn to your post. It is 9:47 on Tuesday, June 29. I hope I have a chance at acquiring something I not doubt can't get at Lowe's, now or ever.

I have twice had to disperse my entire plant collections-- strong on bromeliads, orchids, ferns, cycads, and anything else that I could acquire--when I moved to and then left Puerto Rico. Since then, I have retrained to begin a teaching career in secondary-level Spanish, and am only now in a position to again begin acquiring more plants. I am moving soon out of my apartment in the big city and returning to my rural routes in S.E. Kansas, where I plan to have a greenhouse soon. I can hardly wait! Trained as a botanist and plant taxonomist, I want one of everything: my own version of Noah's Arc, I guess. I tend to expand my interests by genera or entire families at a time. In addition to my life-long horticultural interest, I also have interest in aviculture and other animal husbandry.

Most embarrassing moment? Well, I, too, had a diving incident in a pool where I was teaching a class of pre-teens how to dive off the board, only to have my suit swept down (actually up) to my knees when I dove in. Luckily, the water was particularly murky that day, and--suit quickly pulled into position--the students showed no sign of having viewed a full moon at the bottom of the pool.

Another swimming teaching experience was a class of women, several of whom were international student wives with limited English. After having spent three weeks diligently doing my utmost to instruct the class, on the last day--in the presence of most of my co-workers and boss--a particularly attractive young Brazilian woman stopped by to thank me for my "passions". I'm pretty sure she meant to say "patience", but by then the damage had been done because my co-workers had already begun exchanging startled glances and formulating their soon-to-be-expressed remarks.

I hope this is good enough to add a 5th insectivorous plant to my collection. Here's hoping!!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
thats too much oneofeverythingbotanist!

WOOHOO he deserves that plant!
laugh.gif

LOL, pool stories are the best of ALL!

Back